Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles

NA Hardcourt 2011 Tour / Submit your proposals!

NA Hardcourt is now accepting proposals for 6 major tournaments to be held in 2011, which will include 4 regional tournaments, the North American Championships (NAHBPC) and the World Championships (WHBPC).  Deadline is November 15th.

These will be "NAH Sanctioned" tournaments, which means that NAH will help both with tournament organizing (format/scheduling/refereeing) and materially, by providing a tournament kit and some sponsorship support. 

Calendar

(ideal/approximate, depends on the bids received)

• Regional Tournament 1: Winter/Early Spring
  • Regional Tournament 2: Spring
  • Regional Tournament 3: Late Spring/Early Summer
  • Regional Tournament 4: Early Summer
  • NAHBPC: August
  • WHBPC: September/October

Rules

• All NAH sanctioned tournaments will operate under official NAH rules.  Currently, these are the same as what was used for NAHBPC 2010, but they may evolve in coming months.

NAH commits to:

• creating a qualification system 
  • helping coordinate the format/schedule and refs for each tournament so the rules are enforced in as consistent a fashion as possible throughout the tour.
  • providing
    • scoresheets
    • software
    • other materials for helping to run a tournament

Host cities commit to:

1. Good courts in sufficient numbers.  
    • Decent size - at least 35 m (120’) long and 20m (65’) wide.
    • The playing surface should be smooth, level and reasonable in the rain.
    • Smooth boards, 120cm (4’) tall around the entire perimeter of each court (It costs about $750 to build a court from scratch in the style of NAHBPC2010, MWBPC8, ESPI5, etc. with the higher walls)
    • Scoreboards.
    • Nets - approx 200 cm x 90 cm (height)
    • PA system
    • As much shelter from rain/sun as possible, especially for refs/court captains, the PA system, etc, but also ideally for players.
  2. Finding sponsors for prizes, schwag, and to help cover costs (NAH will help here).   
  3. Player hospitality.  
    • Housing: as much couch-surfing as possible, plus recommendations on good accommodations close to court, both hotels and camping.
    • Bike shipping: players will need a dependable address where they can ship their bikes. This location will need to be accessible the eve of the tournament.
    • Food/Drink:  Free is great but sometimes cheap, dependable, delicious, and in quantity is better.  Think about outsourcing to cool local vendors and have them assume risk. Check out what Berlin and Madison did for WHBPC and NAHBPC, respectively. We should either provide a link to this info or describe it.
    • Communicating the above to players, well in advance.
  4. Providing trained volunteers to help run the tournament: court captains, some refs, goal judges, materials and resources crew with a vehicle, etc.  These can include out-of-towners and NAH can help recruit.

The Tournaments

WHBPC

Will take place over 4 days:

• 1 day prelim tourney with X teams (number TBD).
  • 2 days of Swiss Rounds with 48 teams
  • 1 day double elimination with 24 teams

Eligibility (subject to change based on capacity,  etc)

• 16 spots for NA teams, each team must have two players from top 16 at NAHBPC.
  • 16 spots for European teams, each team must have two players from top 16 at EHBPC.
  • 8 spots for other teams, including Australia, Japan, the host city, to be decided by Worlds host city at a later date.
  • 8 spots for top 8 teams from a prelim tournament held the day before with 32 teams registered on a first-come, first-served basis, like in Berlin at WHBPC 2010.

NAHBPC

Will take place over 3 or 4 days.

• (maybe) 1 day prelim tourney with X teams
  • 2 days of Swiss Rounds with 48 teams
  • 1 day double elimination with 24 teams

Eligibility:

• It is complicated at this point to create an official qualifying system because of player swapping and a brand new tournament schedule.  
  • For now, eligibility will be based on a resume submitted listing placement per team/player at one of the 4 regional majors, as well as other tournaments throughout the year.  A similar system was used to determine NA participation at WHBPC 2010 and it worked well.  
  • If, one month before the tournament, there are still places open, there will be a first-come, first-served registration for the number of teams who will play a one day swiss round to qualify for the remaining spots.

4 Regional Majors

These four "regionals" do not correspond to the 7 "regions" in NA Hardcourt.  We will just try to ensure that they are spread out, geographically. Maybe in coming years NA Hardcourt will be ready to support more than 4 of these Majors.

Will take place over 2 days (Saturday/Sunday), or perhaps a long weekend (Memorial day/Victoria Day in May, Independence Day/Canada Day in July)

• one day of Swiss rounds with at least 32 teams, preferably 48. This means at least 3 lit courts or or 4 or more unlit courts.
  • one day of 24- or 32-team double elimination.

Eligibility:

• None (First-come, first-served)
  • This may change

How to submit a proposal

We’ll use Leagueofbikepolo.com to coordinate this.  You can submit a bid at http://leagueofbikepolo.com/node/add/bid2011, and you have until November 15th to do it. 

If you have an idea for sponsorship, send an email to nahardcourt@gmail.com.  We’re coming up with a sponsor package in the coming weeks....

Ok all. This is not written in stone. Everyone involved in putting this together is acutely aware that there will be many questions and the need for regular communication and a healthy helping of flexibility. Please keep this in mind when offering critiques so we can keep this process efficient and productive. Thanks!

so let me understand the regional system then. Will these tournaments be named midwest/east/west side reginonal and require placing well to advance to NA's?
......OR are they just tournys that are sanctioned held in various regions?

WELL DONE, NAH, and Thank you!

P/M Hardcourt

1. Assuming the four baseline criteria (and sub criteria) that are listed, are met, how are the bids selected?

2. Who sets registration fees?
2.(a) Does NAH collect any percentage of the registration fees? If yes, have you figured out how much? I think it's germane for cities to know this prior to bidding.

we don't care what they are doing in germany daniel, plus it's spelled with a 'y', not a an 'e', dumbface.

quit jabbing me in the ribs.

1. Bike route infrastructure, weather in the host city at the time of the tourney, accessibility from a major airport, Four Loko availability, etc...Once the Secretariat committee has reviewed the bids, the entirety of NAH will vote.

2. Registration fees will set and collected by the host cities. No bids have been received so the costs haven't been figured. Different host cities will have different needs - acquiring facilities will not be the same cost everywhere. Ideally, we're hoping to find some uniformity in the registration fees. We'd also like to see the host cities end up with something left over for their local scene. Some of the funds raised by NAH will go toward accomplishing these goals.

2(a). Yes, but the amount depends on costs, etc. NAH will be requiring a small fee from each registered team on the NAH tour, which will go towards the resources NAH is providing to each tournament, which we've outlined above. (This should have been in the text of the original post, so the post has been amended.)

It sounds good we can cap our bid at 60 then, so non travailing teams can still try their luck and not feel like they are not allowed to partake in the only local tournament. Have to make sure everyone is forewarned that they may only make the first day and not move on.

Other then that all looks well, good work! It will be a great polo year next year if I don't break any major body parts... again?!!!!

I need a sugar momma so I can work less and play polo more!!

Also, do we have to submit our bid on your pre made form? We have our proposal on a PDF, so can we just send you the PDF. You can have link that goes to our PDF when it comes time for voters to see?

A PDF is great, but it makes it hard to compare between proposals. i've added a field where you can upload a PDF, but it in order to compare proposals we need the info in the right place, you can probably just copy and paste, it'll take you only a few minutes and you'll know that you've covered all your bases. thanks.

Who other than Calgary is going to submit a bid for Worlds?

Midwest is best!!

We are biding for NA's first, because with everything that is going to go into this there is a good chance that this will be the only tournament we throw. And the majority of the people who play in Calgary wont get to play in there own city tournament if we host worlds. I am done are NA's bid and will be sending it in tomorrow. I have not heard of anyone bidding for the worlds.

is the proposed 48 team number for NA and worlds a theoretical number? 48 seems like a small number to shoot for, particularly given that locations and amount of courts haven't even been decided upon.

Totally. If the best overall proposal from a potential host city indicates without question that they can competently handle 80 teams, great.

Will we get to se other bids and vote or is this closed to non NA's board members? How does this work?

benschicago wrote:

1. Bike route infrastructure, weather in the host city at the time of the tourney, accessibility from a major airport, Four Loko availability, etc...Once the Secretariat committee has reviewed the bids, the entirety of NAH will vote.

I'd imagine it'll be like last year where the city reps vote on the bids...

DanielNOLA wrote:
benschicago wrote:

I'd imagine it'll be like last year where the city reps vote on the bids...

daniel in a sane world this would be the case. i'm a city rep and NO ONE contacted me about voting for worlds or NA. BULLSHIT. my vote doesn't count, which means every philadelphia bike polo player's vote doesn't count.

and daniel, your vote doesn't count either. sorry.

Lexington, Ky has 25 players that have been to at least a few tournaments and 30+ players in our club. We did not get a vote or notice that there were bids even put in!

Ifuckinglovepolo

What do you mean? the bidding has been open for like 3 almost 4 months?

Daniel-

Ahhhh. You know, I remember seeing your post and thinking that I really ought correct the mention of city reps voting, when in fact it is only the 21 regional members that have ever had a vote on this particular matter. "Entirety of NAH," wasn't as specific as it should have been.

Having said that, I believe I've addressed the regrettably misinformed posts of Mr. Capriotti and the Cardinal.

Everyone clear?

yes ben that clears things up, but it would be cool to have every club with a Rep. could have had a vote or at least seen the bids. Not just to vote but so everyone can see what it takes to put a good bid together.

Ifuckinglovepolo

An example of a well written and researched bid for everyone to reference is a great idea.

"How to" documents for reffing, working with parks/city departments, gathering sponsorship and hosting a tourney are in the works. This aspect could possibly be included in the "hosting" doc, but in any event, good call.

Well in Canada we dont have four loko? Sad but true, well pull my bid out I guess we are screwed. I hate you Daniel you are allways so mean to canadians!

Perhaps I'm speaking out of turn here but

WE WANT YOUR BID!

Please consider going for it. More bids from more places means more better polo!

I have sent Calgary's bid in and I must say it is looking good!!

Yes, San Francisco ! The Bay Area would be a great
host city... You will have lots to see and do after the local
teams crush you on the 1st day! Ha!

Lefty Bullshit!

Well put a bid in then and get it done!

*furious typing* you'll be seeing ours soon.....

What is Seattle bidding on?

x2!! I can't wait to play in Seattle!!

Midwest is best!!

Is anyone bidding on anything or have plans to put bids in? If cites do not put bids in for the tour how will this all work out. Will 4 big tourneys be picked as tour tourneys?

Seattle is planning to bid on Worlds. Think hangars, plenty of four loko, and nearby lakes for skinny dipping after the hangars and four loko have been used.

Bethink thee of the albatross, whence come those clouds of spiritual wonderment and pale DREAD, in which that white phantom sails in all imaginations... ~Herman MFing Melville

B.O.G.

Please count my vote

x2!!

Midwest is best!!

Okay catfish, I'm going to move my mouth like this...

I just saw this and it's such horseshit. No BOP anywhere in this video. Not even a cameo.

They cant get fucked up if they keep pouring it on the ground!

Just another Sunday for New Orleans Bike Polo.

Hell yah to that seattle doing worlds!!

It's looking like at this rate there is not going to be an NA's Tour next year?

the deadline is one month away.

Looking at this I'm assuming it is best, or even required, to play with the same team at majors as you would for NAs and Worlds? Hmmmm

"For now, eligibility will be based on a resume submitted listing placement per team/player at one of the 4 regional majors, as well as other tournaments throughout the year. A similar system was used to determine NA participation at WHBPC 2010 and it worked well.

Just make sure you allways play with people who have played on the tour, can still make teams just make sure you pick the right people(Tourney Players)

are players eligible to play in more than one of the four touring majors? if yes, does this give them more credential for qualifying to play in NAs?
and...if you cannot play in the NA because it is out of this country [possibly] would that disqualify/make it more difficult to play in Worlds?

i think this is amazing though guys! great work. i'd like to help out any way i can. i've been working towards general sponsorship for bike polo here using our media exposure as cred. i'm working towards using it to approach major companies for 'permanent' sponsorship and would gladly transfer my efforts to the big picture...as it would be easy to gather more gusto based on the whole of bike polo exposure and present that to a larger corporation [for instance]....let me know.

Don't want to come to Canada?

yes i always do. i just can't yet...i might not get back into the states.

have many people bid on the four majors? I haven't really heard anything. The reason I ask is if no one else is stepping up for it, I might be willing to put in a bid for one of the four majors, on top of our existing bid for North Americans. It would obviously be much earlier in the season, and at a different location that the North Americans will be, but we have a prime spot for it, just not sure what people would think of potentially two major tourneys in the same city....I wouldn't even really consider except that I haven't heard of anyone else bidding yet.....

I am also curious about the silence... it seems like clubs that have submitted bids would already be plugging their city on this thread. What clubs have bid so far? We would like to start discussing our potential votes here in Pullman/Moscow.

P/M Hardcourt

X2

silence? we're just procrastinating. the deadline got moved back, what's the rush? it'll all come out soon enough

You have made mention that you are putting a bid in for worlds, people are just wondering if anyone else is bidding for anything.

In San Francisco, we are busy with our upcoming tournament (oct. 30th,31st).
But after the tourney, we'll discuss/plan a bid...

Lefty Bullshit!

Would people come to Guadalajara for the worlds?
We´re working on our bid, but want to know what the poloverse thinks?

+1 more canadian for guadalajara

guadalajara would open the door for canadians that are not allowed in the usa. put your bid in i say. the right city will host it no matter. 2011 is gonna be sweet!

+1

*Somebody please think of the children!!*

If no one else is putting bids in at this point can we just start reviewing are options or has there been any new bids sent in or brought to Kevin or Ben's attention? Reading the threads it does not sound like much is happening... just curious?

Any plans on when the majors will be? I need to know how long I can procrastinate on this getting good thing.

The NA's is said to be in August and not to long after the worlds. The tour tourneys sound like they will be through out the summer. Hope that helps a little?

whos sayin' that?

Calendar

(ideal/approximate, depends on the bids received)

Regional Tournament 1: Winter/Early Spring
Regional Tournament 2: Spring
Regional Tournament 3: Late Spring/Early Summer
Regional Tournament 4: Early Summer
NAHBPC: August
WHBPC: September/October

Its at the top of the thread!

Still haven't heard anything about bids for the 4majors... so I am going to put this out there. P/M Hardcourt is working on another 24hr throw-in tournament for April 9th-10th we would be willing to go "major" with it and submit a formal bid, it being a throw-in has kept us from submitting the bid. We are getting more and more support from the university but our club is small so housing is our biggest crux. Can a throw-in tourney even be part of the tour?

P/M Hardcourt

I am just curious, why haven't more clubs take interest in getting the tour going next year. Most tourneys I have been to in the last few years this is exactly what we have all talked about. And now the time has come and no one wants anything to do with it. So what is the deal are we looking to move polo forward or is everyone happy where its at. What are peoples thoughts on this, what or why do you think so many clubs stayed away from getting the tour up and running?

Also Good to see yah throw in Reese, I am sure everyone who was at the 24 hours had just an amazing time as I did. I think you guys could put a good tourney together with your location.

Maybe one of the matter is:
Tounrney become bigger and bigger, and the level of organisation increase every time. It looks like a lot of work, and every people who handle a tourney know that's hard to play and organize. People who want to organize stuff want, most of the time play... Take time to organize a big tourney that you can't win, or make a good result, because of you tireness can affraid people.
Or not?

(For example, My team make shit during ehbpc, a lot because we didn't sleep putting the format up during the night from sat to sun etc... So know, when we are talking about biding for worlds 2012, some people don't want to get involved in organization, just want to play.)

I know we're already bidding on North Americans, however I have also put in a bid for one of the majors....it will be earlier in the summer but after the snow is gone for sure (which can mean June here if we get a bad spring) and we'll try and space it as far from North Americans as possible.

Bid coming shortly from Seattle for the Worlds.

Rowdy

Bethink thee of the albatross, whence come those clouds of spiritual wonderment and pale DREAD, in which that white phantom sails in all imaginations... ~Herman MFing Melville

B.O.G.

So is this 11:59 each time zone or in one specific? Please do tell!!

Extended Deadline!!!!!!!!! One more week!!!!!

Everyone - just finish the proposals and get them in. NAH is going to work with your club to make it work. You have nothing to lose by submitting a proposal.

Hope this extension helps!

2nd extenion?? I'd just go with what you have. I don't think I'd vote for anyone who can't meet a deadline that they've had months of notice for and one extension already anyway....just my two cents.

It was extended by a month and a half already?

Seattle - Worlds
Calgary - NA's
And for the four tour dates who ever has applied would get there position, unless there is multiples for one of the locations then that can be bided on. Biding for the other locations can be left open. If no one bids on missing locations then that can be worked out by selecting tourneys that will be played in those areas regardless and setting it up with the hosts. Like Justin said people have had there time, let the people who are ready to go get to work on stuff. Once thats off the plate you can focus on finding the remainders for the other tour tourneys.

So has/is anyone putting a bid in or was this exstention not needed?

i submitted a regional bid for edmonton yesterday

Wicked good to hear Josh. If you get it and yall need help we are right next door. if you get it we should talk more.

yup if Calgary and Edmonton each got one we'd be able to combine some expenses and do it better than we otherwise would have. i'm thinking PE dasher board setups, welded steel goals, anything else?

Full stadium bleachers the works!!

Should have talked to me/us first. I was thinking about piggybacking off NA's if Calgary won that bid. Have a warm-up tournament the weekend before.

Regardless I have a lead on a lot of 3/4" plywood.

If I new I would have Chris, sorry about that. The plywood thing would be worth helping each other out with. I have a family friend that owns a lumber shop and they said they will sponsor as well. So if something could be worked out I think we could all be in wicked shape for boards. Well Ben?

is there a way to view my own submitted bid? i'd like to copy/paste it to circulate within our club

If you did the cut and paste set up provided by Kevin, will would have to contact him or just send it to nahardcourt@gmail.com.

so has the latest extension passed yet? When is the deadline? what's the word on this? Anything been decided yet?

Drumroll please!!

and the winner is??????>>>>>>>>>>>>.......................................

Matt Messenger
"Messmann"
bikepologuru.com
seattlebikepolo
since 1998

x2

My mom wants to know. For real.

Tell your mom to call me Chris I will calm her down!? Since I said drumroll their has been 88 people check in on this thread! Do people really want to know that bad?

Yes they do.

Congrats to Calgary and Seattle!!!!

This Cascadian duo will be hosting the North American Hardcourt Championships and World Hardcourt Championships, respectively.

More news to come on the 2011 NAH Tour.......

Time to wake up and go to work. Good thing we shoveled the courts tonight.

Congrats Calgary and Seattle! Also congratulations NA Hardcourt on maturing and improving this process so much. Last years we had to deal with the open process of reading proposals and the voting on a set date. This behind closed doors thing and then surprise announcement is what I'm accustomed to in other more established organizations so thanks for your hard work. Actually I do appreciate the hard work that this tour will be for all of the selected cities and organizers on the tour. Regardless of the process I don't think better cities more capable of hosting 2011 North American and World Hardcourt Championships could have been selected.

Nice. Can't wait.

coffee, whiskey, beer. repeat.

yeehaa. polo world get ready! thanks NAH....:}

Matt Messenger
"Messmann"
bikepologuru.com
seattlebikepolo
since 1998

congrats you guys!
can't wait for worlds. unfortunately i cannot go to na's.

600$ flights from mke to calgary: or 27 hours in a car, and if slow burge is there its more like 29. i'm talking charter coach bus chi-mke-mad-mpls!

I've alerted MPLS poloists about the charter bus possibility.

i was thinking party train! I've run the chicago -> mpls -> minot -> havre -> seattle route many a times and it's good drinkin' while someone else drives. Plenty of room for sleep, bikes, and a hundred of your most random friends.

how do you get from havre to calgary?

aw shit.. apparently trains only cross the border at Montreal, southern Ontario, and Vancouver... nix that idea.

Michigan could fill some seats on that bus.

if you could get to chicago i've already got a quote for a 47 seat deluxe coach putting rides at $160 a person. email me at jake@mkebikepolo.comto discuss more details

Round trip?!?! if so count me in

Ifuckinglovepolo

Keep Madison in the loop as details become more concrete, it's quite likely that folks will want to hop on the covered wagon headed west!

Can't wait to have everyone. It's going to be a good time.

Rowdy

B.O.G.

How the west was won.... Dang Calgary is far away.

BribriMKE wrote:

How the west was won.... Dang Calgary is 3 hours away.

When will the submitted bids be posted publicly?

x2!! Were there any other bids?

Midwest is best!!

x2 for transparency. For all we know the bid looked like this....

"If seattle wins the bid we will put together a huge conspiracy where Milwaukee's Beaver Men are left off the invited teams list so Benbama and his Chicago Boys have a chance at winning.
Love Messman and Leon"

Haha, BriBri! I'm all about the transparency as well!!

Midwest is best!!

Actually it said, "....we will conspire to conspire on a vast conspiracy...."

GLASNOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sad?

JEAH JEAH the reality of this is sinking in, SUPER STOKED to welcome all of y'all next year! I owe more than a few folks some fine hospitality, will do my best to deliver!

the j is for jesse
Troy, NY: 2008 - 2010
Seattle, WA: 2010 - 2013
Austin, TX? polo!???

so is there any news on the 4 regional tourneys?

Just a question about the 8 spots reserved for the top 8 in a prelim tourney

- if this is only for 32 teams registered in a first come / first serve basis, will they be split in the same fashion as the main tourney 32 spots. i.e. 13 first in from USA, 13 first in from europe, and 6 first in from elsewhere?

That's a good Q, and a good idea.

But all the of the final numbers are dependent on the court capacity in Seattle, NAH will help Seattle iron this out by the end of the year... i think suggestions are welcome... We also need to think about hybrid teams, there were a few good ones in Berlin this year for example.

P/M Hardcourt club in Pullman (4 1/2hr drive east of Seattle) has four courts, two are lit til' 11pm. If there is a need for qualifiers we would love to host them. We will be contacting Seattle about this option and are looking to host something either the weekend before or after worlds for all the poloist traveling to and fro.

To: HAH we are willing to submit a bid showing our capabilities if this is an option you all want to look into.

P/M Hardcourt

forget stop watches get these

http://www.opentip.com/Sporting-Goods/Macgregor-Indoor-Outdoor-Tabletop-...

no, seriously, do it

• AC-SK999.jpg

oh, there will be room for more than 32 teams....

he was asking specifically about the prelim tourney.

Pick me pick me can I play huh can I can I huh

"So this is how it ends"MACHINE

Is LA planning on making the "winter picnic" happen this year? Might you dude(tte)s consider getting this "sanctioned" or whatever?

Any dates for WHBPC?? We want to buy tickets to NY and travel coast to coast, but we need to know dates.

We have had 1 discussion (in SF) so far about hosting a regional qualifier in the SF Bay Area.
Tentative dates are mid/late July.
However, I am waiting to hear back from L.A. about their plans...
(Either way, Team Gravy Pants will prevail !)

Lefty Bullshit!

any word from east side or midwest cities wanting to do the regional tourneys?

rumor has it that a small town in southern Indiana is hosting the midwestern regional....

i like the rumor, tell me when its confirmed.

Maybe wrong thread for this question. Is there a detailed formula for requirements to play at the Worlds?

I think you just gotta have 2 of the 3 players in your team finishing in the top 16 at NA's.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think building is right. I think there was a thread talking about this but off the top of my head I cant remember, I will look and see if I can find it.