Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles

The 'ole reverse T-bone

This came up in a few times in pick-up the other day-
I found myself blocking an opponent who was forced to stop, but then had room to steer around my rear wheel. Obviously not seeing this as an ideal situation, I hopped backwards into his path. The most common result is that he would catch my rear wheel and one or both of us would end up dabbing.

Obviously, this isn't the prettiest play for either of us. But, is there a foul here? It seems to me that he's t-boning me, and it seems to him that I'm reverse t-boning him.

Firstly, reverse or forwards is irrelevant to a t-bone.

Secondly, there is no right of way in polo.

You block him with your bike? No problem with that. He's at fault for riding into you.

Now, on the other hand, if you back in to him, while he's riding past, that's your t-bone.

John H wrote:

Firstly, reverse or forwards is irrelevant to a t-bone.

Secondly, there is no right of way in polo.

You block him with your bike? No problem with that. He's at fault for riding into you.

Now, on the other hand, if you back in to him, while he's riding past, that's your t-bone.

Thanks. I like this response. Also: I'm coming to London in July. Let's polo.

Preying mantis on the court and I can't be beat...

I agree with John. You got to be there to call it.

If we're going by NAH"

§3.1.1.1.1 – A player riding his or her bicycle in such away that wheel-to-wheel or wheel-to-frame contact is initiated on an opponent.This includes collision with an opponent while riding forwards OR backwards.

That hard call is on "initiated." There's an argument to be made that the intentional movement backwards by you for the purpose of causing collision of tire/tire or tire/frame is an action initiated by you. If you are stationary and they collide with you, they are at fault for sure.

Intentionally putting yourself out to be t-boned is like complaining about how much your foot hurts after tripping someone.

Combination of choice: Smash + Bang

Nailed it.

In addition: There is a huge grey area with cutting lines at high speeds (that results in a crash). Both players will feel like they have been dicked over ("look up and live" versus "my head was up you crazy fucker").

If a player rides through the front end of another (in the slightest) then they have initiated contact (in my opinion). But if there was only a swoop (or aggressive overtake at a shallow angle) by the high speed player then the ball handler had the opportunity to avoid them (and failed) and has initiated the contact/crash/foul.

Some people always resort to the 'base of the T' thing, but often the angles involved are far from perpendicular.

i have a question too , i dont see nah rules cover "passive" t boning: its a slow speed ,more pushing than crashing motion that one player can attempt on someone who's standing still (goalie or not) , typically bumping /forcing into your frame with the front wheel until you dab or gtfo .

This is a "slow bone" and is covered under the current NAH wording: you may not initiate contact with another bike regardless of speed.

That's right. Slow boning is not allowed. Boning must be surreptitious and fast if you're doing it right out there in the court where everyone can see.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you aren't sinning, Jesus died for nothing.

Always ask for consent as well.