Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles

What about Conferences?

Copied/pasted from a different thread, I have something that I would like to hear opinions about:

"It's time for an eastern conference and a western conference. Less is more. 24(+?) from each go to NAs, host X strategically timed/placed qualifiers in each conference, and the top 24/X from each tournament qualify."

This idea has been talked about here and there, so I'm not taking credit, but I couldn't find a dedicated thread. It's written in reverse order, but you get the drift, right?

Why completely shake it up? And what does it solve? Host 3 qualifiers in each conference, okay. 2 conferences, 6 qualifiers. So basically exactly what we have now except some people are going to have to travel further because there's one less qualifier. Plus everyone would have to travel once more per year to qualify for NAs because they have to attend a divisional qualifier and then a conference final before NAs.

How does it make some specific thing easier? Honest question, because I might be missing something.

Conferences work in professional sports because professional athletes travel throughout the whole season, either once a week or multiple times a week. Every week.

We need to keep our competitions and divisions local and compete locally when we can, since we aren't professionals and no one is paying for our weekly flights to our next game. Just redraw the current regions a little bit, make a few little changes, and then think about moving to sub-region qualifiers into the regional NAH event. IMO.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fixcraft.net

Nick! First response! I'm SHOCKED. Sorry... had to.

Anyways, why shake it up? Because the sport is young, people find a reason to complain regardless of what is attempted, and I like trying to solve nagging problems with different solutions. I'm not necessarily advocating for this, though... I just wanted to see if it would float.

Why just 3? Why not 4? 5? If NAs can handle more than 48 teams, hosting a bunch of small, spread out qualifiers could bring out a bunch of new talent. We could even reverse the "one shot" system that we're using this year and allow people to attend multiple qualifiers. I didn't suggest a conference tournament, so I don't have much to say about that... My intent was to reduce the number of pools to 2 (east and west) and potentially increase the number of opportunities to qualify. Some would say that it works well in other major league sports, so I wanted to get people to think about it for ours. The distribution of talent would shake out nicely, and we wouldn't have to use this convoluted system of weighted regions. If there were 4 qualifiers per conference, for instance, they could be spread out to cover each conference with at least the same level of convenience as the current system. You could then take the top 6 (or more depending on NA capacity and eliminating potential duplicates) from each and send them to NAs.

Again, I'm not trying to push this as the next best thing, but I thought that it deserved some debate. There are some smart cookies on this board, and I as curious to see how they would improve or shred the idea.

Oh, forgot one thing... I'm all about sub-regional stuff as an alternative. Thinning the herd is pretty necessary at this point, and I'm not into closing qualifiers the way we did this year. Just look at the sign up list for Eastsides... Sure, Boston is a bit far for some people to drive, but can you argue with an indoor qualifier with hockey boards?And it is so much more convenient for some Northsiders than Michigan, but this is a bit off topic.

The conference approach needs to bake a bit more, but I am certain that it could be tweaked to give the entire continent adequate opportunity to qualify and address the issue of growth clashing with regional lines.

Once bench format get's organized, perhaps conferences would be a better fit.

Combination of choice: Smash + Bang

Regionals to qualify for the conference, instead of the NAs. Then take the top teams from the conferences for the NAs. even north v. south. something different, doesn't have to be east west. If you want to run shit, and make sense of it, conferences help. you can have more regions in each conference, to make regional qualifiers more, you know, regional.
and shake things up, because things aren't perfect now. so shake things up to try something better.
and is there someone organizing a bench league nationally?

I'm not necessarily into adding a Conference Final, but that top-down approach is how the idea of conferences grew on me. Rather than weighting regions, it made more sense to remove the regional boundaries and open the qualifiers. I haven't given any thought to regions within conferences, but I think that that system would work better with static bench teams (city based or seasonal rosters) than fluid threesomes.

I don't know if anyone is organizing a bench league final, but I sure hope so. The Midwest is having a bench tournament the weekend of Eastsides (jerks), and it would be great to see it take the next step.

"fluid threesomes" joke here

lomax wrote:

I'm not necessarily into adding a Conference Final, but that top-down approach is how the idea of conferences grew on me. Rather than weighting regions, it made more sense to remove the regional boundaries and open the qualifiers. I haven't given any thought to regions within conferences, but I think that that system would work better with static bench teams (city based or seasonal rosters) than fluid threesomes.

I don't know if anyone is organizing a bench league final, but I sure hope so. The Midwest is having a bench tournament the weekend of Eastsides (jerks), and it would be great to see it take the next step.

personally i think conference championships are important before the nationals. in wrestling i had to go through district, regionals, then nationals. (never made it to nationals). but i think tht it should be similar. regional, conference, national. and for places like the midwest, add district/clubs into it. would make for a democratic way of getting into a qualifier, sans the "SO SAYETH THE NAH" trick.

Just state by state mini qualifiers.

Awful, at best.

Yay! DC Bike Polo always wins the DC qualifier!

Combination of choice: Smash + Bang

State by State, not district by district. silly.

Awful, at best.

No NAH membership dues without representation!

Legalize Hand Throws - 2014

Yeah, fuck you Canada!

Okay catfish, I'm going to move my mouth like this...

Inter or sub-regional qualifies has to be the best alternative. I feel like we need to wittle the amount of teams heading for a qualifier down, not expand them.

talk shit and burn bridges

One effect of limiting qualifiers to in region teams is that we have smaller more manageable qualifiers. I think this is great.

The bad effect is that we have situations like players from Burlington(our nearest out of state club) having to go to Michigan, instead of coming here to qualify, because they are technically northsides. I know Rob was planning on playing with two eastsiders here, but had to bail because he had promised to play with some BVT folks in Michigan.

I think individual players should be allowed to play as many qualifiers as they want, but always with two in-region teammates. People with the means to do so can play as many qualifiers as they want but we still have a limiting factor so the regional qualifiers aren't diluted with out-of-region teams.

The two conference idea is interesting but I think it would require some thought as to how to make that split without having nearby clubs suddenly placed into separate regions by an arbitrary line.

I'm not sure what's a better solution. But it is also quite early in the season and we should see how things go this year.

Relevant (sort of)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=660138&navid=DL%7CNHL%7Chome

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you aren't sinning, Jesus died for nothing.

Please don't link to pictures of Gary Bettman's face, or interviews with him, ever again.

it actually is pretty relevant though, just skip past the video up top.

hahaha

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/03/algorithmically-realigning-spo...

Bike Polo is Our Language,
Good Will is Our Motto,
Friendship is Our Goal.

Play More Bike Polo Together!