Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles

Companies 'selling' Bike Polo Experiences

Yesterday I received a dozen or so worried emails when a Amazon deals voucher got mailed out with a 'bike polo experience' offer for £38, down from £75. On further research this site was emailed to me: http://www.bikepolo.co.uk/ and then I was sent the organiser's contact details. I called him up to find out why he had decided to charge for bike polo in London when he had never been part of the polo community, was not putting anything back into the sport and clearly had no idea about the rules, safety or structure of our sport. He really didn't care about any of this and basically told me that the London Association can do nothing about it. Now, I know he's charging people for our sport which is atrocious but what is worse is that the company is completely misrepresenting us, playing on the wrong bikes, no safety equipment and even using our courts. If someone gets seriously hurt, the repercussions could be awful. It seems he has purposely avoided contacting the LHBPA and gone to mallet distributors directly to get equipment, otherwise we could have advised on how best to teach bike polo - like we have with many local authorities, schools and sports coaches.

This is a London issue at the moment but ultimately it could affect the whole UK by forcing our sport to be regulated by a body that is not ourselves. It really pushes the need for us to be a recognised sport in my mind (but that's just my opinion).

I have tried to remain professional throughout my contact with these people so please don't contact them sounding off but I would like you to check out their website and give me your thoughts on our best way of dealing with this: http://www.bikepolo.co.uk/

Polo love,

Jess

This is so awful! May be you have to buy "Bike polo experience", go there, look him in to his eyes and speak face-to-face.

• previsto-un-mezzogiorno-di-fuocoper-warren-bu-L-MOv2km.jpeg

well who the fuck is gonna pay for polo anyway ? london community shoudl take care of this properly tough , if fakies like this keep growing ,we can expect people coming out of nowhere claiming they organize world championships ,or type of shit that might harm our credibility

Benji971 wrote:

well who the fuck is gonna pay for polo anyway ? london community shoudl take care of this properly tough , if fakies like this keep growing ,we can expect people coming out of nowhere claiming they organize world championships ,or type of shit that might harm our credibility

I agree with your last statement. It is worrying. We are working on the UK Association so we can take care of this!

Bad business plan is bad.

I can't see anyone playing bike polo with stag do noobs if they're not going to see any of the "event fee", ignore it and it'll most likely be a non-issue.

There will be no repercussions for using public courts, but if anyone takes money from this kind of process then they may be liable in the event of injury (payment is a contract).

Organising bike polo experiences isn't going to impress British Cycling but I agree it's time we made proper in roads to an official UK body (created by/for actual players)... I believe we're already on this, so no worries there.

On the plus side: we might pick up some new players via the extra publicity and if it takes off we can simply do the whole idea in a more succinct and professional manner.

I wouldn't let this kind of thing worry/bother you, they are small fish in a big pond.

I've been playing polo pretty much twice a week since november last year and have maybe spent the equivalent of two sessions with this company on it, at a push.

Are they are actually getting any business from this?

Anyway you could atleast get them to stop using your likeness? Seems like a good plan to not have your faces involved.

Nip this one in the bud, I'd say don't even worry about this jabroni go above his head with the British Cycling route. The last thing y'all (or any of us) want is a regulatory body that doesn't understand the game calling the shots. I don't know how this kind of thing works in the UK but it sounds like y'all are on it. Or just plaster your courts with "FREE BIKE POLO AT (this time)".

On a side note I just threw up in my mouth. What a sham, we all do this for free, we've even got two loaner bikes.

Keep your standards low, and morale high.

despicable!

whack. as. fuck.

---------------------------
carve. smash. eat shit.

I had a 40 minute conversation with this guy in regards to set ups and equipment when he contacted me through Throwinpolo.com I tried to guide him/explain a bit about polo and equipment to him but all hes interested in is saving money and getting go.

He had agreed to come up to Canterbury on a throw in night as none of them other than online videos has even witnessed polo!!! When he tried selling his venture to me it was purely as a side event to his land yatching business as something to offer when there was no wind!

Insurance wise he hasnt got a clue! first accident he has he's boned as he's basically blagged it to his insurance company what the events are! He wasnt even going to offer helmets till I mentioned it!

And one last thing if a uk bike polo association/body is to be formed this guy would have to sign up under it to offer his experiences and to comply with uk polo. Same as the new bike park at gravesend, kent has to be under british cycling.

shit guys, does this mean i can start doing tours . "Mornings with Machine " coming your way soon.................BYO 'pagne.

"So this is how it ends"MACHINE

A few yeas ago in denver we had a guy selling "polo" bikes with our faces. It was a long drawn out saga in which he lied, lied and lied. Eventually the failed/stoped selling polo bikes. See picture below.

• BIG_ass_whole.jpg

"Big Shot Bikes"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you aren't sinning, Jesus died for nothing.

I'm just gonna leave this here: https://www.facebook.com/BikePolo.co.uk

I just left a "recommendation," on their facebook page, it was super easy

• TORONTO • OTTAWA • VALLEY BOYS •
bikepolo.to

holy shit. i'm doing everything in life wrong!

These guys are literally hitler.

Legalize Hand Throws - 2014

Secondary Alex wrote:

These guys are literally hitler.

Fun fact: the word 'literally' had a new secondary definition added last year in many dictionaries.

https://www.google.com/search?q=literally&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org...

Quote:

lit·er·al·ly
/ˈlitərəlē/
Adverb

Used to acknowledge that something is not literally true but is used for emphasis or to express strong feeling.

That's right everyone, literally now means not literally.

Literally, 'literally' means 'figuratively'. It means two things which are literally the opposite of each other. But I'm only speaking literally.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fixcraft.net

Ah, the dynamics of language.... <3 linguistics...

shotgun your bike!

Dammit they used my logo without permission too!! Well they can expect a swift round of litigation, my lawyers are on this already...

Check out some information on the original bike polo experience, with some great pictures of the promotion material! Waaay before companies were trying to profit off of the sport.
http://321polo.net/2013/06/the-original-bike-polo-experience/

321polo.net

That's a great article!

I have no idea about the outreach that goes on in other countries. We have beginner sessions, dozens of school projects and have been training various coaches and PE teachers here in London. We even have a schools tournament. We volunteer all our time and any money donated to us for equipment or teaching goes straight back into the LHBPA. Would be awesome to find out about how other people go about it.

@Dan - thanks for filling us in on the Canterbury side of things. We had a general meeting this week and someone volunteered to deal with it. We decided to rise above it, there's no point swearing and shouting but educating as many people as possible about how awesome our sport is for FREE in as many places as possible is a good place to start so we're gonna print up a load of information posters :)

Wow jesse, Im now starting high shcool polo here in California. Seems with more exposure ,comes some jacko tryin to capitalize on all your hard work.
I love to see à bench match at the Battle for California in sept.
I hope We dont have the same trouble as London. These people will soon go away, they have Nothing to offer. Remeber they are not players. People are going to see through Bullshit, and come out to real polo. Good luck

Deaddog- sacbikepolo

• reginapolo.jpg

give blood. play polo.

I love the trolling thats happening on the FB page for these people, polo players are vicious.

Actually it looks like they deleted all the ones there were left today

Get rad

Looks like they've removed or hidden their facebook page, the url gets redirected to facebook home page.

it's working for me.

321polo.net

HA, they changed a few things on their fb page, and now it is down completely. Now we just have to work on their "website". Who knows Mikael Metthey, the author of the London Invite video on their site? ( http://youtu.be/7nzyHMdZTyc )

This video has sponsored names all over it, can he tell them not to use his video?

give blood. play polo.

By posting, "Making the game a proprietary thing, this company is going against everything local bike polo clubs have given years of blood, sweat, tears, time, and resources to build in your community and bring to you for free. Here is a great resource to get you started: http://leagueofbikepolo.com/clubs," I received a disciplinary warning from facebook that my account has been flagged for malicious and bullying content.

Hahaha, jeez.

Does this mean that by bullying this website I could skip the process of getting my facebook account deleted.

P.S. Here's the twitter account: @bikepolo_uk

Aww, he protected his tweets.

Legalize Hand Throws - 2014

I assure you, he's not incredibly articulate.

they changed their background image to get rid of the players. the video is a youtube video so not much can be done about that. but hey maybe theyre on to something with the adjustable mallets right? RIGHT?

hasn't this been tried by one person from every club ever who was super excited about it until halfway through the first game they played with their adjustable mallet suddenly became two mallets?

Preying mantis on the court and I can't be beat...

I'm now dealing with this, please put down your pitchforks, some of the discussion here is very reactionary.

Site imagery is being changed. He's well aware of our opinion that bike polo should be played for free.

I imagine there will be more of this kind of thing in the future. Fortunately most clubs/countries already have systems in place that protect the "core" of our sport.

No big deal.