Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles

officially petitioning the NAH...

as an in-region player with an in-region team I would like to formally petition the NAH for a spot at the south central qualifier. a full in-region team has given up their spot and being that there is no waiting list for in-region teams I as an in-region player feel like the more logical choice for that spot before an out of region team. especially when that would be taking up an in-region spot in a tournament where there has already been an extra out of region spot allotted for a lack of conciseness in verbage. this official petition may seem late in the game but it is only after suffering setback after setback while trying to play in this and patiently waiting on and trusting in the NAH to decide my fate that has led to this delinquency.

to clear this up...I am not attacking the NAH, I am not attacking the individuals that make up the NAH, I am not advocating or demanding the removal of any team already registered (besides the team removing itself) or asking for an additional spot to be added (although this was done for an out of region team) I am simply asking that as an in-region player with an in-region team I be afforded the opportunity to represent my region in our already imbalanced qualifier.

let's keep the discourse public and dispassionate...thanks.

there are a couple of angles to this in/out of region qualifier stuff as i see it. pro...you get to mingle with players you don't normally play with/against and see how you stack up against those serious enough to come to your region to play. con...those out-of-region players could prevent you from playing in a qualifying tournament in your own region or take a qualifying spot.

On that note, those out of region teams musta wanted to be there more than the in-region teams they beat to registration if they had themselves organized enough to get their names in first. So, good on em. I'm not saying that necessarily makes it right, but according to the rules enacted at the beginning of this season, its what was agreed to, so we should all be aware of the rules and play by them.

In the future, I think that in region teams should be given first priority to play in the qualifying tournaments in their region, and after a short period of time, the registration should open up to everyone. It seems like the validation of registered teams can come down to an internet quick-draw, whereas it might better serve everyone if fair and ample opportunity is given first to in region teams to play in their own regional qualifying tournament (so they don't have to potentially travel further in order to have an opportunity to qualify for NAs), and in doing so give a more balanced picture of the standing of teams within the region.

Its kinda amusing to note that all 9 of the out of region teams registered within the first MINUTE that registration opened while the other 27 spots didn't fill up for over 48 hours.

Well put Jason. I think that all of us who love this game as much as you would feel the same frustration if in this position.

Perhaps, in keeping with Jawn's suggestion, the following could be implemented:

1. 75% of a tournament's registration would take place on day one with only in-region teams able to register.
2. After 1 day the remaining spots would open up on a first-come, first-served basis for out of region teams.
3. The second registration would last until as long as it takes to fill up the tournament. However, the first minute would only count for out of region teams. If, after that time, there are not enough out-of-regioners, you fill it up from the in-regioners who had registered in this second registration. This gives out of towners a one-minute opportunity to register. If they really want to play they will sign up in this minute.

This would give in-region squads a fair amount of time to get in and serious out of region squads a chance to fill the 25% quota.

That said, I don't know what the most fair way is to deal with your present situation. But for what it's worth, If there was an extra spot allotted (for whatever reason) it seems it should go to an in-region team and I think you should be allowed to play. I support you.

Okay catfish, I'm going to move my mouth like this...

The whole one-minute thing is the main problem I would have with this. Yes, if you really want to play, you will be ready in that one minute period, especially if you know ahead of time that'll be your only chance. But if you happen to have a dicey internet connection (which I do, fuuuuuuck comcast), you might get screwed pretty hard no matter how ready you were to click right as the clock counted down.

The whole first-come, first-served thing seems great, until that window gets to be so small that it's really more luck than anything else that decides who's gonna play. And if it's gonna be luck anyway, why not have, say, a one-day time frame for outta-regioners where they can put their name in a hat, and then the organizers draw randomly from that pool.

Of course, then you get to the whole argument that you may not get the strongest players at the tournament, but I don't think the one minute opening guarantees that either.

-Brett

I feel that an assumption i have needs to be clarified. The reason for regional qualifiers is to give an equal opportunity for ANY team in each respective region to qualify for the NAs, not just "the best" teams, is it not? Isn't what we are endeavouring to find out is who the best teams in each region are? How do we know how we will stack up next to the competition until we play them? This is the opportunity for anyone to step up and prove themselves.

I don't feel that limiting the percentage of in-region teams will necessarily bring out the teams that have proven to perform well in the past. In fact I think it will increase the risk for ANYONE to register in time before the 25% out of region quota is met.

I agree with the idea of giving 24 hours after registration opens for regional teams to register, although i don't think that the percentage of regional teams able to register within this time period should be limited. 24 hours should be ample time for everyone in the region who seriously wants to play to sign up. After the first day, registration would be open to everyone.

Like I said in the other thread: Can you explain the chronological events of what happened?

For some reason, you completely disappeared from the original South Central thread until a couple days after registration was already complete. You said you were interested in playing in it nearly a month ahead of registration, and then you didn't show up again until after registration was complete.

I would assume this is because you were moving to Austin during the time of registration. Only after registration was complete were you settled in your new town, and by then the spots were filled, right? Or am I way off?

Either way, if an in-region spot opens up and you are on the "waiting list" as a recently full-fledged in-region team, you should get the spot. I think you should be able to play if one of the spots has been opened by a Lawrence team.

Which Lawrence player are you intending to play with? You say that NAH has denied your request, but can you explain what exactly they have given as a reason? Did Ben Schultz or Malakai or Rob or Tall George or Little Rock just send you an email with only the word "NO" in it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fixcraft.net

"a full in-region team has given up their spot"

Their is no giving up your spot. If they can't make it that's one thing. Which team can't make it? Why haven't they told Nateness this?

If I'm understanding this correctly, you and your other two teammates didn't register when registration opened. Everybody had ample warning and instruction as to how the process went down.

I think tournaments, especially the regional qualifiers should be open to the best teams of the region first and foremost. However, this format of registration includes being aware of deadlines as well.

Since you missed your shot for south central qualifier try your luck at getting into the midwest qualifier. Registration is tonight, Tuesday, March 15th at 10p(est) or 9p(cst). You're a good player and I hope you can make it to this tournament.

More people need clarification on your situation and the reasons why you and your team missed the registration completely.

I like your polo.

An extra out of region team is going to the SC? A team from Lawrence has given up their spot? How do you know all of this stuff? If both of those revelations turn out to be true, we'd still be full up at 36 teams. Sadly, missing registration kind of put you in a bad spot here. Aren't you going to the South Eastern anyway? You'll get a shot to get qualified.

I've had and then lost a spot on 4 teams since registration...yeah, frustrating.

I wasn't positive I was going to be able to afford to go what with moving and all so I never "built" a team in conjunction with my being offered a spot before/during registration...who could have predicted the tidal wave of "slayers" and the mad scrambling their "availibility" would inspire.

during the mayhem that was registration I was cozily tucked away under the wings of an in-region team by two members of a team that thought their third was a no-go due to being a no-show at pick-up and incommunicado during and after registration. I bowed out gracefully when the original player renewed interest in competing and was picked up by another team...apparently each member of the team had "picked" a third already and the other third trumped me by distance of travel, experience, qualifiability?, etc... next was the sympathy offer from the Lawrence kids upon learning of my plight in juxtaposition with the realization that they weren't going to make it (problem is none of the original three can play and under the current ruleset there can't be a complete changeout...I never contested the validity of such a rule...Lawrence you got a special place in my heart for looking out like that). last was a local team that offered me a spot then unfortunately filled the spot while I was in NAH limbo...I told them I was down to play but that if the team I was already on was legitimized I would play on that one first and therefore if they found a strong third I wouldn't begrudge them safegaurding their chance to play in the NAs.

post after post after post I pleaded for a spot and was displaced by out of regioner after out of regioner...and that's cool...but for there to be an open spot and that to go to an out of region team as well on top of the plus one given to an out of region team already...

why should in-region teams be slighted for not registering in 3 seconds? maybe we were "playing" polo and signed up after pick-up rather than during since we knew we had time...

scenario: x amount of in-region spots are available and taken, x amount of out of region spots are available and taken, 5 in-region teams bow out mysteriously and pave the way for the first 5 "under 10 seconders" on the waiting list...thus "selling" their spots, no? this is just as if not more plausible than the scenario barring me currently...full substitutions even amongst friends in the same region, city and/or club are not allowed due to the possibility that this could lead to selling of spots (which was ultimately the ruling handed down to me by the NAH). hell, why limit it to 5? we could block all in-region registration with the right internet connection and some local complicity/peer pressure/intimidation...we've already got so-called "A" players urging in-region teams to spectate rather than participate in order to make way for the more "deserving" teams...WTF? talk about subjective...

keep hustlin for those spot jay, polo karma can be a bitch sometime.

you guys are gettin real complicated with the whole qualifiers stuff this year...hope the season goes well .

here are the rules on "teams"...

2011 NAH Rules

1. Teams - Teams will consist of three players. Substitutions will be allowed only in response to player injury or unforeseen absence (cancelled flight, etc.).  Proceed as follows:

If the player injury occurs more than two weeks prior to the tournament:
the substituted player must be chosen and declared before the first day of tournament play.
this team is then set for the duration of the tournament.
If the injury occurs during the tournament:
a substitute of equal or lesser skill maybe be chosen to place the injured player. Any member of the opposing team may raise an objection to the substitute chosen if they feel the substitute possesses greater skill than the injured player. This objection must be brought to the attention of the court referee or tournament organizer who will mediate the situation and make a ruling. The ruling is final.
a substitute may be chosen from another competing team. However, if the two teams sharing a teammate meet during the tournament, the substitute will play with their original team.

...under these rules my team was within the two week window and substitutions occurred due to unforseen absences...there is no mention of how many substitutions can be made or that one original player has to be on the team...if you and your friends have spots you should be able to rearrange in whatever way addresses circumstances as an in-region team...

unrelated sidenote: how can an in-region team "sell" it's spot to an in-region team anyway...they're all in-region players. rearranging within region to give the best showing steps up the level of competition for everyone...isn't that the point of the qualifier...to get the best players to the NA? in response to "superteams" I think it's smart play.

there is also no mention of out of region teams clicking buttons too early getting a plus one in place of a regional team (I'm all for them playing by the way) yet this was allowed...so it's not like there isn't a precedent based on vagueness.

let me hear a more official reason for my exclusion besides "you trusted polo players...shame on you" or "should of clicked the button faster than some ineligible out of region team on the waiting list" or "you don't need to play in your own region anyway"...

i think they should open the na's to that can come and have one hell of a fuckin party drink smoke till ya punk go home
and do it all over again next year

two asshole's don't make it right"
BUTT three asshole's make a good team"

Jason, the situation sucks (your teams not working out) but you can't bud in front of the 13 out of region teams that have been on the waiting list.

My suggestion is that you find yourself a second regional player, and get on the waiting list for regional teams.

OK i'm actually a bit confused on this, the NAH tournament committee has an email thread going about this, including the three SC regional reps, and we'll get back to you soon. In the meantime, fill out the damn form. You're not taking the place of that other team, that's one thing for sure.

that's exactly what I'm doing...creating a waiting list for my in-region team...can you find an in-region waiting list...it seems to not exist?

I'm not cutting in front of anyone...out of region spots filled (plus one...making this officially the most lopsided tourney to date leaving out the possible additional out of region team being considered over me)...at the risk of redundancy "out of region spots filled", done...in-regions fill in-regions, period.

I didn't "miss" registration...is "new polo" going to make necessary multiple registrations? stealing more spots from local players when teams conglomerate and waiting lists exist for out of regioners only?

/edit kev said what I said in a much nicer way.

So why don't you just register your team like everyone else? No need for loopholes, special treatment, etc. This whole thread is unnecessary and i've wasted an hour trying to figure out WTF is going on. (BTW do you know how hard it is to understand your posts?)

Ten days before the tournament, the remaining in-region spot will be offered to a non-regional team. So you better snatch it up!

Jason speaks(types) perfectly with well versed sentences and is very clear to cover every detail so he is not mis-understand. The fact remains and that you fools don't want to UNDERSTAND.

"ok Mr. Schwinn fucking Armstrong!"
www.burrobags.com

That's not what well-versed means.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fixcraft.net

You saying he isn't well versed? ACtually, i DID use the term correctly when i stated that he knew exactly what he was talking about..

www.burrobags.com

Free market allows for the spot to be put on ebay. How badly do you want to go? Put your money up.

NAH is a communist dictatorship doncha know?

ain't namin' names but I got offered a buyout! to quote martin, "fuck new polo"!

BIKE POLO IS OVERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

www.burrobags.com

NOW IS THE TIME FOR THE CONFEDERATE STATES OF BIKE POLO TO RISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.burrobags.com

The only thing rising in the CSA happens when you watch Dillman score a goal with his shirt off.

I like your polo.

That is a great idea. the South should just secede from NAH... or better yet, Florida would just snap off and drift far away

- Beaver Boys * Milwaukee Bike Polo Club -

Don't get me excited!

www.burrobags.com

BORING!

The only thing that's boring is your rules.

www.burrobags.com

Or your team's organizational skills.

fixcraft.net

http://instantrimshot.com/

no nick, i think you are mis-understand things

I am not mis-understand. YOU are mis-understand. I speak well versed. And juxtaposition too.

fixcraft.net

Good usage of juxtapose. For good measure.

www.burrobags.com

How bout you just sign up for Midwesterns?

t-minus 2 hours....

Oh yeah, also: someone put me on a committee for NAH. I feel like my opinions are always right and I think that needs to be utilized. I'll take vice-president, or general "oracle" or something like that...

fixcraft.net

vote for this guy
http://vimeo.com/20481620

Did any out of region teams make it in? I registered a team "come and take it" and didn't get an email.

Zulu, are you talking about the Midwest tournament?

The out of region emails should be coming soon.

Yeah, thanks. I had too many tabs open.

FUCK THE NAH! Buncha old men playing Hipster hockey bike golf in their mid life crisis hanging onto what is now the idea of youth thinking they have positions of power of a sport that exists only in the minds of a small percentage of people. Ya'll are whack. Fuck your committee.

www.burrobags.com

ThePoloFuries wrote:

you mad?!

do you laugh when you write this stuff? or does making yourself the most hated underdog give you some kind of righteousness?

c'mon step out of your own selfishness

i love how the two people, you and fraz, who argued the most against people attending out of region tournaments are the two people who are using loopholes to get into out of region tournaments.

positions of power? or positions of minute organizing and problem resolutions allowing the rest of us to sit back and play our favorite sport and not deal. thanks committee.

Is this for real? Is there a loop hole that is letting him into this tournament? Why is this so back room? If it is so, please let us know. I don't see how there is any extra spaces. I like both of the players and enjoy watching them play but I don't see any loop hole that should let this happen.

If you are talking about polofuries, his team registered yesterday for the SC tourney. 49 days after registration opened.

There are roughly 11 teams on the waiting list before him. Those aren't the best odds.

I do laugh adn smile to the very last period. I"m glad you feel victim to my word vomet. Adn your one to talk about self righteousness. I"M not even going to get into that topic. hahahahaha.

www.burrobags.com

Only Ben Hunter is Ben Hunter. You'll get it one day little boy.

Okay catfish, I'm going to move my mouth like this...

let this guy play
http://vimeo.com/20481620

nothing was ever "back room"...

and Sven...dude you just need to refrain from typing about me until you've got a clue...I've been ridiculously polite and aboveboard with everything I've done and said and your obtuse paraphrasing and pseudo-synopses are starting to try my patience...

this thread has degenerated into semi-clandestine attempts to insinuate I'm sheisty and my cuddly exterior is eroding as fast as my faith in the NAH and my polo peers. I've been accused of cheating, lying, sneaking, demanding special treatment, etc...remember when people that loved polo loved it enough to help out each other just because they were fellow polo players...that's over. I go to a tourney and straight off the plane I build boards, courts, goal judge, keep time, run errrands, etc...I'm not a rep ( despite being tapped) because I knew I was going to be moving but now on principle I would refuse such an offer because of the arbitrary and seemingly irrational reasoning behind NAH decisionmaking...and NO don't call me and try to talk me down...I look forward to sending teams home humbled and broken when I play from now on...sycophants and the so-called entitled alike...can't wait to take your hearts.

hey kev...for fuck's sake close this thread...spare me further dissappointment and disillusionment...

I'm sorry if you thought this comment was misrepresenting the spreadsheet. I was just trying to clear up Stevenso's thought that polofuries and you were going to play in the SC tourney.

jason f-off wrote:

nothing was ever "back room"...

and Sven...dude you just need to refrain from typing about me until you've got a clue...I've been ridiculously polite and aboveboard with everything I've done and said and your obtuse paraphrasing and pseudo-synopses are starting to try my patience...

this thread has degenerated into semi-clandestine attempts to insinuate I'm sheisty and my cuddly exterior is eroding as fast as my faith in the NAH and my polo peers. I've been accused of cheating, lying, sneaking, demanding special treatment, etc...remember when people that loved polo loved it enough to help out each other just because they were fellow polo players...that's over. I go to a tourney and straight off the plane I build boards, courts, goal judge, keep time, run errrands, etc...I'm not a rep ( despite being tapped) because I knew I was going to be moving but now on principle I would refuse such an offer because of the arbitrary and seemingly irrational reasoning behind NAH decisionmaking...and NO don't call me and try to talk me down...I look forward to sending teams home humbled and broken when I play from now on...sycophants and the so-called entitled alike...can't wait to take your hearts.

hey kev...for fuck's sake close this thread...spare me further dissappointment and disillusionment...

WHINE WHINE WHINE