Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles

Bomb Proof Mallets

There is ton of talk about what mallet shaft is good and also what is good plastic for a head. What company makes the best this and the best that. But what I and many others are looking for is a bomb proof mallet that has the best of everything. Every company has their own good pole or head but not a good both. Also for the DIY people what is the best plastic, thickness, length, etc. So to make the bomb proof mallet what have you found is the best shaft, plastic head, and grip.

Right now my setup is a Milwaukee shaft and coupler, really cushioned tennis grip with a ODI metal adjustable bar end, and a crappy ABS pipe head. The head is 5 inches because I just like the length. And the mallet length is 35 inches because I like the length. I have found Milwaukee is a great shaft because they are strong and with some loctite their coupler system works great. I put some red loctite on the allen bolt and the nut and they are not moving at all. To get them off I just take a lighter or a blow torch and warm them up and they come right off the head. I love the metal ODI bar end at the end because it keeps the mallet from getting janky, its a nice surface to plant my hand on, and its really hard to steal my mallet since it hangs over the edge kinda like a baseball bat end. I thought it would be heavy but it isnt at all. The tennis grip is just amazing. Its leather cushioned grip and I feel better holding it than not. Right now Im experimenting with plastics to see which one holds up the best and gives the best shot. I have an order of HDPE coming and Im going to cap one of the ends with some loctite plastic weld. Im looking for a head that is light and strong. Right now the shaft is holding up great and the coupler system I can reuse so thats great. I just need a bomb proof head.

Count it

Protip: Malletheadz.

(Note to any newbies reading this: don't buy these unless you wanna be a clown.)

Legalize Hand Throws - 2014

I have yet to see anything out there hold up as well as the Creamy shaft.

The only way to stop a bad guy with a bomb is a bomb-proof mallet.

For real though... I actually don't think you want a bomb proof mallet. You'll trade off too much in terms of performance via weight. If you just want a hammer, you can probably build yourself one, but it won't spend much time with the ball IMO.

The heaviest shafts that exist right now are already overbuilt IMO. When a shaft becomes too rigid you lose the flex in the swing that adds power to a shot, and can allow forces to dissipate on shaft-to-shaft contact.

What you want is sturdy, but not too rigid of a shaft, and a mallet head that is dense but light enough not to need lightening holes that structurally weaken it. Then, mallet skills will do the rest and lead to a long lived mallet.

Just my $0.02

Combination of choice: Smash + Bang

I pick purely on color combination.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fixcraft.net

I use this, never had any sort of shaft or head wear issues whatsoever :

• Screen shot 2013-08-07 at 10.11.11.png
  • Screen shot 2013-08-07 at 10.09.51.png

FREE SHIPPING!

great company to work with really.

I just got an Arena complete mallet (Creamy shaft, Alchemy head), it's a great balance of strength to weight and it hits hard as all hell. The new system Arena uses is pretty darn sweet too.

D FENS

arena builds are hella strong, but they don't have the flex i find preferable. similar to the (old) heavy duty fixcraft. but thyre strong as shit. but really, i did some pretty intense testing on all the shafts out there, and tehyre all reasonably stong. the arena though did out last a (used) fixcraft in a sword fight.

Anecdotal: I gave my brand new LT + cleat shaft a good bend within a month of having it. I'd been playing with Creamy's for the entirety of the previous year and never even had to "true" (read: bang on the wall) one of those shafts.

It's entirely possible that I shouldn't have been buying an LT because I'm an asshole and am too hard on mallets, but you wouldn't know it looking at my Creamys.

bomb proof mallets are unnecessary

Makes sense. I understand sacrificing weight for performance is not worth it. It also depends on how hard a player you are. Im hoping my Milwaukee shaft holds up well but also has enough flex. I have a feeling that creamy would have not enough flex. I know my friends use Milwaukee and love it and I already do as well. Im testing out an ABS head and a HDPE head. Of course the HDPE head will be better in pop ability but its all user performance. I play more defense so Im not so worried about smashing shots into the goal. Thanks for the input. More input is defiantly welcome. Im testing out a HDPE head with a piece of HDPE shoved in the end and then melted together with a torch. I wonder if that will break down after a while. Its nice to have a capped mallet. So no more bomb proof but we will say most functional mallet.

Count it

Makes sense. I understand sacrificing weight for performance is not worth it. It also depends on how hard a player you are. Im hoping my Milwaukee shaft holds up well but also has enough flex. I have a feeling that creamy would have not enough flex. I know my friends use Milwaukee and love it and I already do as well. Im testing out an ABS head and a HDPE head. Of course the HDPE head will be better in pop ability but its all user performance. I play more defense so Im not so worried about smashing shots into the goal. Thanks for the input. More input is defiantly welcome. Im testing out a HDPE head with a piece of HDPE shoved in the end and then melted together with a torch. I wonder if that will break down after a while. Its nice to have a capped mallet. So no more bomb proof but we will say most functional mallet.

Count it

I've been playing with the same Titanium alloy shaft for over 9 months now. Still straight as an arrow. I've put 6 heads on it so far, and have played with it in over 7 tournaments, and everyday for pickup. Talking about bombproof, it's not much heavier than a XT by Fixcraft. $150 and I'll make you one. I made myself two, but I've only ever had to play with one. It uses the fixcraft connect mounting system.

I'm on a complete Fixcraft setup. LT shaft, Coupler, and UHMW head.
I wanted longer mallet life so i stopped using it like a baseball bat.
Lesson from mid 90's bmx. You can't make something bulletproof. Somethings got to take the abuse.
You could build an indestructible mallet, but your arm will be jacked up because of the weight.

lancasterpolo.com
agile for my size.

to counter my own argument though, the Creamy shaft is a really good balance of weight and lifespan.
i just prefer light weight and selective use, over longevity now.

lancasterpolo.com
agile for my size.

I will weigh my titanium mallet for proof and post pics, but my titanium shaft and Arc 4 from Modifide are now
on close to par with the weight of my friend's Fixcraft LT shaft, connect coupler, and 2500.
My mallet is still a heavier, but its lighter than any of my former XT fixcraft shafts and UHMW heads.

I'm about 130ish pounds, and not much upper body strength and I can use it just fine, it's not the mallet thats holding me back, and I played just fine with it at every tournament I've been to, including NA's.

I have no issue with dexterity, or longevity. I have both. If I can use this mallet, everyone else should be able to as well.

I agree with Horse's statement, that longevity does include how you play with it, or how many mallets you split playing time with, as some could be used for pick up or tournament only.

i've used my Ti mallet for both, and have hacked people and have been hacked, It's never bent and is straight as an arrow after 9 months of pick up and tournament play.

I feel bad for the people who aren't sponsored and have to buy a new shaft every so often. I remember at NA's I saw Kevin Walsh use a brand new .8mm AL 7075-T6 shaft by Modifide and it got bent beyond repair in the first game, becuase SOMEONE ELSE slashed it. I see people all the time bending and whacking their Aluminum shafts to be straight again. Even XT's and Creamy's.

I wish my arms were jacked....

Call me bias but Milwaukee has the best set up. The new hardware ways nothing and never fails. no need for filing drilling or anything else shits ready to go. I've been using one mallet for the last two months straight as an arrow. That's including NA's, usually I go thru 2 mallets a tourney ma fukas be hackin

140x65

You're bias.