Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles

Has anyone considered using standard 6061 aluminum tubing?

as mallet shafts? it's pretty light, pretty cheap, and pretty durable?
i looked around quick and didn't see any mention of this. i mean used ski poles are like 15 bucks. (though the shop i worked at gave me mismatched poles from winter xc ski sales for free/cheap) and this is cheaper, and doesn't have the taper...

any thoughts? pros/cons?

6061 isn't good enough. try 7075.

for the geeks:
6061-O: has ultimate tensile strength no more than 18,000 psi (125 MPa), and maximum yield strength no more than 8,000 psi (55 MPa)

6061-T4: has an ultimate tensile strength of at least 30,000 psi (207 MPa) and yield strength of at least 16,000 psi (110 MPa)

6061-T6: has an ultimate tensile strength of at least 42,000 psi (290 MPa) and yield strength of at least 35,000 psi (241 MPa)

7075-O: has maximum tensile strength no more than 40,000 psi (276 MPa), and maximum yield strength no more than 21,000 psi (145 MPa)

7075-T6: has an ultimate tensile strength of 74,000 - 78,000 psi (510 - 538 MPa) and yield strength of at least 63,000 - 69,000 psi (434-476 MPa)

7075-T651: has an ultimate tensile strength of at least 67,000 - 78,000 psi (462 - 538 MPa) and yield strength of 54,000 - 67,000 psi (372-462 MPa). The 51 suffix has no bearing on the mechanical properties but denotes that the material is stress relieved by control stretching.

whast the rating on 6063-t6?

T6 temper 6063 has an ultimate tensile strength of at least 30,000 psi (207 MPa) and yield strength of at least 25,000 psi (172 MPa)

Geek thanks you.

Winston Salem NC Bike Polo

You can probably get 2024 raw and use it. It's stronger than 6061 I believe. You'll need to find the right wall thickness though.

made a couple out of Lowe's aluminum tubing and about 6 bucks for 3 ft it works fine as a community or back up mallet, but that's about it. Put it in the hands of an aggressive player that plays every game they can and it'll get all bent and wobbly pretty fast. Not sure exactly what grade that stuff is, since Lowe's has no mention of it on their page. Maybe some legit 6063 would hold up better.

Plus, that taper helps in mallet making. I always make the top hole just big enough to fit the pole in and then hammer it in with a mallet...making the whole the exact size it needs to be (let the innuendo jokes begin). With a straight pole you have to drill it exact from the beginning or else you are relying and the securing bolt only to keep it from wobbling.

2021 is not cost efficient. It equals out to the same as buying shafts from MKE (maybe more: http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum/=61i9zt). If you want to try some 6063 then here's your product: http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum/=61igug

Oddly enough, mcmaster doesn't carry 7075 which is what MKE's shafts are made of. I can't even find that diameter available on any raw materials site.

i also just found a length of 3.5 ft of welded ti at a scrap yard my friend works at for 17 dollars.

It bends but doesn't break!, try it out. what is the weight /diameter of the piece?

Yo Dawg I heard you like redundancies so we got a PIN number for your PIN

score!

a friend of mine contacted Reynolds about making titanium shafts. They would be about 25 bucks each...if we were to buy them in bulk.
Can't remember how many they said. Somewhere between 100 and 500...maybe more

it's a little under .75 inch.
i have some hdpe and UHMWPE on order so when it arrives i will see how well it goes.

I'm jealous. That's just the right width too.
Best of luck with buildin that.

Where'd you get UHMW tube? Or are you just milling rod?

Hit your friends with sticks
tcbracks.com

I have one made out of aluminum tubing. Just general home depot stuff. Holds up great and ive had people try to hack it and all it did was mess up their ski pole not the pipe I had. Stuff is light too.

Bike Judge

cheezer wrote:

I have one made out of aluminum tubing. Just general home depot stuff. Holds up great and ive had people try to hack it and all it did was mess up their ski pole not the pipe I had. Stuff is light too.

maybe there's a difference between home depot and lowe's tubing....because that lowe's stuff sucks mad polo ass.

awlawall wrote:
cheezer wrote:

I have one made out of aluminum tubing. Just general home depot stuff. Holds up great and ive had people try to hack it and all it did was mess up their ski pole not the pipe I had. Stuff is light too.

maybe there's a difference between home depot and lowe's tubing....because that lowe's stuff sucks mad polo ass.

There is a chance my mallets have not been through the abuse yours have. Mine has not really been used in tournaments I usually just stick with pickup. Might be why mine works so well. I have seen the same material last through a few matches with AB though

Bike Judge

cheezer wrote:
awlawall wrote:
cheezer wrote:

I have one made out of aluminum tubing. Just general home depot stuff. Holds up great and ive had people try to hack it and all it did was mess up their ski pole not the pipe I had. Stuff is light too.

maybe there's a difference between home depot and lowe's tubing....because that lowe's stuff sucks mad polo ass.

There is a chance my mallets have not been through the abuse yours have. Mine has not really been used in tournaments I usually just stick with pickup. Might be why mine works so well. I have seen the same material last through a few matches with AB though

Dammit! I meant to take a picture of that mallet tonight. Its still in play, but barely. The guy who plays with it plays pretty rough, and he played with it most of Savannah. The other one is catching up to it...but at 5-8 bucks a shaft for 2-3 months of play, its not that bad.

I've used regular tubing and it's sheize. It just doesn't stand any abuse.
Ski poles not only are they made with "better" aluminum, they are cold-formed and, sometimes, heat treated after being extruded.

*Somebody please think of the children!!*

conduit. work on them muscles boy.

Polo at Mack Park in Denton Tx Sundays 5pm-10pm

$15 seems a bit much for used ski poles. The salvation army here sells them for $5/set in the winter and $2.50/set in the summer. Not sure if that's standard pricing for their stores in other cities or not. Also, I made a classified ad asking for old x-country ski poles and got 6 sets for $10.

On the figures of metals which is.more important ultimate tensile strength or max yield strength.

Can get straight 6063-t6 (19 diameter with a 1.21mm wall thickness) pretty cheap would that be strong enough or just bend