Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles

Purchasing Frame Size

I am looking to get my first Polo Specific frame, and I know this is a matter of preference, but just looking to see other peoples take.

So the frame I am looking at comes in 3 sizes

Small (49-52)
Medium (53-56)
Large (57-60)

My normal frame size is usually around a 52-53, so my question is, for polo do people generally buy a smaller frame than they would for their normal bikes? I'm not sure whether to go with a small or medium.

Which polo frame are we talking about here?
It's pretty common for people to ride polo bikes that are a centimetre or two smaller (effective top tube) than their road bike size. I rode my street bike (a 57cm IRO) for polo for a few months and I really liked how it handled, maybe because I was so used to the frame. Now I have a Pake with a 55.7 cm top tube, and it does feel like it turns tighter circles at low speed. Not a huge difference, though.
My 2 cents would be go for the small unless you're worried about toe overlap in that size, or unless you really want to have a super short stem.

Yeah that makes sense and is what i was leaning towards.. A 57 would be far too big.. The range sizes throw me off a bit since i would fit a 53 but not a 57..

The frame is the dodici polo club..

Ok, yeah, given that the small has a 53 top tube and the 'medium' is a 57, I'd go small. Toe overlap shouldn't be an issue with 26" wheels.
I think the geometry of the polo club is based on the FGFS frame that they made, which would explain the weirdly long top tubes. Also... if you were to ask me, I'd say that 72.5 deg is a pretty slack head tube angle for polo.

Go with what fits properly, avoid too big at all costs. If your usually a 52-53 like me, get a small. Nothing worse than a polo bike too large

Get rad

If in doubt, go smaller. Always.

How much seat post do you normally have on your 52/53cm bikes?

some loose math...

E.g. - A 30in inseam is 720mm. Add another 15mm for the thickness of the sole of your shoes, and 5mm for the thickness of the pedals (half the thickness). That's 740mm sole-to-taint.

520mm frame with 165 cranks in the bottom most opposed position means you've got 55mm of space for your set post and saddle. Decent. Mind you, that you never want to be 100% extended in your pedal stroke.

Combination of choice: Smash + Bang

my commuter is 56cm, my polo bike is 53.5 seattube, 54cm toptube I think. Just a reference for you.

My road bike is a 54cm; I just ordered a Velolucuma in a 51cm. I personally like smaller frames for polo. I used a 54cm loaner polo rig on a trip recently, and it was too much. For riding around, it was nice, but once I hit the court I felt like I was too high off the ground.

Small can be 'shimmed' with seatpost, stem, etc. Not so for big.

So I just compared measurements of the Polo Club sizes with my Surly Steamroller for a comfortable Size reference

Seat Tube
53cm Steamroller: 53cm | 530.86mm | 20.9in
Med. Polo Club: 48cm | 480mm | 18.9in
Sm. Polo Club: 42cm | 420mm | 16.53

Top Tube
53cm Steamroller: 53.3cm | 533.4mm | 21.5in
Med. Polo Club: 57.3cm | 573mm | 22.56in
Sm. Polo Club: 53cm | 530mm | 20.86"

Headtube Angle
53cm Steamroller: 73
Med. Polo Club: 73
Sm. Polo Club: 72.5

Seat Tube Angle
53cm Steamroller: 74
Med. Polo Club: 73
Sm. Polo Club: 73

I am no geo weiney, but by this comparison it appears the medium polo club is really a 48cm frame.. not a 53.. now I am very confused to say the least.

The effective top tube is the measurement you need to think about, not seat tube. The sloping top tube on the polo club means that you can't really compare seat tube measurements between it and a road frame like the steamroller. Just use a long seatpost and you'll be fine.
If you go to the medium (57 cm) polo club, the saddle to bars reach will be too long and it will suck.
My specific advice would be to get the small frame, but my big picture advice would be, especially if you have to pay retail for this frame, don't buy it at all. Once you fork out (haha) for a fork, it'll end up around the same price as a Joust. I haven't ridden a polo club but it doesn't look like the geometry was particularly well thought-out.

jeffj wrote:

The effective top tube is the measurement you need to think about, not seat tube. The sloping top tube on the polo club means that you can't really compare seat tube measurements between it and a road frame like the steamroller. Just use a long seatpost and you'll be fine.
If you go to the medium (57 cm) polo club, the saddle to bars reach will be too long and it will suck.
My specific advice would be to get the small frame, but my big picture advice would be, especially if you have to pay retail for this frame, don't buy it at all. Once you fork out (haha) for a fork, it'll end up around the same price as a Joust. I haven't ridden a polo club but it doesn't look like the geometry was particularly well thought-out.

Thanks a lot for your help, I really don't know much about geometry of bikes, usually when buying for me it's more about feeling while riding, this is the first bike i'll be getting that the geo really matters.

The deal through a connection I have on the table is actually for frame/fork. Just under $600
Retail for frame/fork would be around $722
(also the bike looks fucking sexy)

right now I play on a frame that is exactly what your describing, my reach is really long and kills my back most games, which is why I am now looking for a polo specific frame. Then this deal came around and thought it would be a good choice.. I was also looking at the velolucuma bikes, but the price on those seem way too good to be true and i've also heard very mixed reviews on those frames.

to be honest right now, I am not very good.. but getting better.. I've been an off and on player for a few years, mostly because I had janky equipment and when something got fucked up, i had to wait to save up to replace it. Now when replacing equipment im not taking the cheap way out and am purchasing quality, which started with my wheelset which I now ride the velocity nobs rims, next obviously is the frame/fork..

Haha, I was kinda suggesting that you just buy a Joust instead. Not that I have ridden either frame, but my beef with the polo club is the slack headtube angle (72.5 deg whereas most polo bikes are 74 deg) and the fact that it looks like they just slapped canti posts on their FGFS frame and called it a polo bike (http://www.dodicicicli.com/products/dodici-9mm-2012-trick-frame-1).
But hey it's just a bike! Either way it will probably feel better than what you're riding now, and if you're used to mtb geo, you might feel more comfortable on the polo club anyway.

I was also thinking about this frame/fork
http://www.tontacycles.com/products/bike-polo-frames/polo-frameset-matad...

Does anyone know of anyone that has any experience with these?

Ugh zero rake forks.

jeffj wrote:

Ugh zero rake forks.

can't win with you can I? haha.
after doing more research I think im gonna go with a velolucuma. I know i am kind of contradicting what i said earlier, but I read more reviews about them and for my style of play I think it would be a good fit and the geometry is better.

I know it's a little risky, but cant beat the price.

Haters gonna hate!
You are being faced with a downside of running 26" wheels for polo, namely that there are no cheap and reliable (eg mass produced) frames with proven polo geometry/specs. In my mind, the Joust is the way to go if you are less concerned about price, and the Velolucuma or Hija de la Coneja are good choices on a budget.
You're probably right that the Polo Club is better crafted, but like I said it looks like the geo is not so great.

jeffj wrote:

Haters gonna hate!
You are being faced with a downside of running 26" wheels for polo, namely that there are no cheap and reliable (eg mass produced) frames with proven polo geometry/specs. In my mind, the Joust is the way to go if you are less concerned about price, and the Velolucuma or Hija de la Coneja are good choices on a budget.
You're probably right that the Polo Club is better crafted, but like I said it looks like the geo is not so great.

For where I am at in my playing abilities,I think the Velolucuma is the best option, later down the line if/when I get better I can get something a little more high quality, but for right now, this is what I am gonna go with. Joust would be ideal, but the price tag is not.

I do thank you though for your help.. I think at the end of the day I will have made the best choice for me right now.

I helped building the Tonta Polo bike and am riding the prototype, a light high quality frame ready to go into production. Which may take a while as we need to have sold at least 5 before we can start the first production run.

The zero rake fork is a non isseu as the geometry is adapted with polo in mind. The Velo is surely a good choice though, specially if you dont want to wait after ordering your bike.

went with the velolucuma.. here is the final product if you're interested: https://leagueofbikepolo.com/bike/drewcifer/the-dog-walker-20

thanks again for everyones help.