Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles

Joust vs. Marino.

I need to replace my stolen bike. Anyone want to weigh in on if the joust is worth the extra wad of cash?

If i get a marino, it's going to be basically the same geo as a joust, with a few minor changes (clearance for bigger tires, reverse mounted brakes, slightly shorter stays, ect). But, jousts do just kinda look better and are probably better built. Thoughts?

still loving my Marino. also I don't cringe when i crash. sure it's not even close to the level of craftsmanship as a Joust or other such fancy rides, but it works and enabled me to spend the avoided cost on some bomber wheels.

i'm sorry for your loss, I have a $20 shipping credit with Marino and would gladly transfer it to you for the cause.

yeah. You're probably right. Marino is the way to go. I'm just basking in my new job and financial stability. Jousts just look nicer. Marino makes more sense in every other way.

Preying mantis on the court and I can't be beat...

marino also has a coupler system now

okay. Convinced. new marino it is. Fighting the urge not to copy the 'seafoam green dream' paint job.

i dig that one too

That's my girls Marino, I like it alot. I ride a Joust and would always play on it over a Marino. That being said, Marino does his job decent enough to warrant a new one. The seafoam green dream is a 56cm Joust geo with the triple triangle and 5mm shorter chainstays. If you are right handed, make sure you leave the front brake posts on the front of the fork. If you put them on the inside you have the same problem lefties have with running the brake cable. The noodle goes into the wrong side of the brake causing the housing to snake right to left before hitting the brake. Just get a brake booster to protect it. If you look at the 3rd picture of her bike you can see the cable running all over the place on the front.

Sideshow Bob wrote:

The seafoam green dream is a 56cm Joust geo with the triple triangle and 5mm shorter chainstays. .

what are your girlfriend's *cough* measurements? my current bike is 53 square w 100mm stem- 570 top tube on the 56cm joust seems waaay to long even though thats technically "my size"

I just got my custom 700c Marino with coupler system and I love it.

"ok Mr. Schwinn fucking Armstrong!"
www.burrobags.com

Are there any pictures? What did you have to pay for the couplers?

I've seen his facebook pictures of them, but I'd really like to see them on the user end after being built. Well I'll see it in Como come saturday so good things come to those who wait...

Any chance of seeing some (detailed) pictures of the bike?

https://picasaweb.google.com/107567773132599730806/Wingman4v4InCOMO#5758...

as detailed as i can get. maybe my boy has more photos on his SD card. All i know is it left the tournament in 1 piece...unless he took it apart to get it in the car!

I'm too lazy too post pictures, but i wills ay my marino is better than a joust ( in my opinion )

"ok Mr. Schwinn fucking Armstrong!"
www.burrobags.com

Didn't expect to see myself on that picture...

Yet another benefit of American made steel is not having to mail it to South America if there is a problem.

And Richard is such a nice guy.

yeah i love my joust but i'm sure i will get marino sometime. i saw d-rod from north texas marino and the welds were really good. i know some of the other marinos i saw were kinda blah but his is really nice. its a full custom bike for half the cost of a joust... some of the welds on my joust are a bit rough looking, but structurally its a tank. i won't ever get rid of it. so its i think its more were you want your money to go. i have no problem with giving marino my money or richard schwinn.
I personally just dig the joust. its the first frame specifically made for bike polo... just sayin.

"rubber side down boys"

still going strong

• 416271_10151039493735407_385018537_o.jpg

There is no question about it, side by side the Joust is a way better bike. I have built up one Marino and inspected a couple others. You *might* get one of the Marinos where he welds reasonably straight (and the welding is getting better the more of these he puts out), gets all the angles right (unlikely based on what I've seen) and doesn't have one chainstay shorter than the other (actual problem I have seen, twice now) but you're rolling the dice, and the house is probably going to win.

But if you're on a budget, like someone said, maybe buy the cheapie and treat yourself to some Chukkers. Personally, if I got a bunch of cash dropped on me and I was just going to copy the Joust geometry anyways, I would get the real deal. Ya get what ya pay for.

what are your qualifications again?

Professional metal fabricator.

Zing! I also agree with everything Henry said.

Keep your standards low, and morale high.

i own one and agree. i returned my first frame.

The replacement looks amazing:

• aa ch cuadro verde 3-4 del otro lado.jpg

*aero as fuck.

"it's going to be basically the same geo as a joust, with a few minor changes (clearance for bigger tires, reverse mounted brakes, slightly shorter stays, ect)"

1) are you ever going to ACTUALLY use bigger tyres? bigger tyres want to ride over the top of the ball and often pitch you off. Also, the downside is that you need to bend and flatten stays to a greater degree which lowers the lifespan of your frame - much greater chance of fatigue cracks at those locations)

2) Shorter stays. Do you like to sprint and play fast? The stays on my Marino are 370mm. I run the wheel right in the back of the dropout so it comes out at 380mm. If I designed again I'd be running around 390. Short stays makes the front wheel want to lift under power.

Marinos are great (I have one) but the Joust is pretty well thought out geometry wise, having had a coupe of generations of prototypes. Just make sure you know what the geometry changes are going to do to the handling.

here you have some detailed pics of the marino frames and the couplers.
enjoy!
www.velolucuma.com
check ebay some good deals going on...

• IMG_7456 35.jpg

Axl
www.VeloLucuma.com Polo Bikes

I finally got my marino / velo-lucuma all together and built up and running and I couldn't be happier. This bike feels amazing. It's a little more aggressive that what i've been using, but it corners like a fiend and wheelie-turns just feel right.
http://leagueofbikepolo.com/bike/musicsucks/daves-marino-velo-lucuma

I think Jousts are awesome frame. I know quite a few people that have them and love them. The quality and finish is definitely higher than a marino but so is the cost. If you want custom geo for cheap, there is also Marino is definately the way to go. If you want tried and true and have the money, go for the Joust. There are also other options like Rustbelt out of Cleveland (really cool dude(s)) and Grand National out of Indianapolis (another cool dude).

I recently scored a marino frame on craigslist. It's the Velo Lucuma Travel frameset. I was not planning on picking up a dedicated polo frame. I was actually pretty happy on my old Raleigh m20 frame/fork with quality/durable parts on it. I'm not the best player and never felt my frame geo was holding me back from developing my skills. I was actually putting off getting a polo geo frame until I felt my skills justified the cost.

That being said, I like new shit parts as much as anyone else , and the deal I found was too good to pass up. I've had the frame for about 3 weeks or so and I like it a lot so far. I already had pretty solid parts so the only thing that changed was the geo. Turning is more aggressive and it is much easier to wheel turn. I am also able to play over the front wheel better which is handy. The bike also "feels" more solid.

But... it's not a game changer. I still need more practice/experience. I'm a total polo geek and look up parts and stuff all the time, but most (myself included) would be better off spending less time agonizing over each mm and angle, grams, or the next best part and spend more time improving their game.

• IMG_20121013_173848.jpg

Every club needs more people like you. That said, stay here!

any one already try the PoLoLoKo Travel?
its look like one very nice frame!

Figured I'd add some input to this thread. I recently ordered, and even more recently built up, one of the VeloLucuma frames. Set the geometry as essentially a size 58 Joust. I was a bit wary of the super-short chainstays I'd seen on many custom Marinos, and I really liked the way a fellow Bloomington player's 59 Joust handled. However, I don't currently have the money to justify buying a Joust, and this seemed like a good compromise.

So far I'm super happy with it. Rides excellent, and fits me perfectly. The craftsmanship and welds definitely seem to have improved in comparison to a lot of the earlier Marinos I had seen. That being said, I have only had it built for a few weeks so we'll have to see how it holds up in the long run. While I would've liked a Joust, I definitely would buy from Marino/VeloLucuma again.

• IMAG0201.jpg

Very content with my 6 month old boomerang-edition Joust. A few weeks ago it was stolen from the back of my campervan and the thieves must have decided to look it up on the internet to gauge its worth, thus discovering it was the only one in the UK. A few random forum posts and calls later, it was back in my possession after a mere 48 hours. There would be more in the UK if the factory shipping rates weren't so crazy - the price of a less than special one Jose Mourinho* indeed. Luckily I acquired mine as a frameset from Chicago via Ebay for $200+ less.

It's definitely a set-up-and-forget geometry - it let's me get on with more important things like my distinctly average game. Not the most radical in any department, just good, sane, mature decision making at a sensible weight, with a decent factory lineage for the bike geek in me. Treated to some favourite 20 year old retro parts, it has a Paul's fat front hub and a red Flite, along with the awesome TRP mini v brakes, Middleburn UNO cranks and of course the Thompson Twins. CSB on the rims and skinny Kojaks provide the grip and traction.

Did the dumb ass thing of riding it first time out (along with going over to SPDs for extra hilarity) at the UK National Champs - we finished a surprising 5=. Maybe I'm thinking this thing has special powers....

* Euro soccer joke.

• Joust.jpg

Neil - Cross Hares, Manchester UK

I enjoyed this review. You are well-spoken. Will you review other things in your life and post them here? Like maybe your most recent sexual escapade or the intricacies of a new toothbrush?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fixcraft.net

im assuming the fat front hub means your fork is spaced at 135? i cant tell by the picture.

thats a cool ass build there.

BoozeKruse wrote:

I enjoyed this review. You are well-spoken. Will you review other things in your life and post them here? Like maybe your most recent sexual escapade or the intricacies of a new toothbrush?

Coincidentally, I have just switched brushes to a smaller headed variety. Yes, less filaments but the lighter top piece aides dexterity and encourages longer and deeper probings. Thought I'd combine your requests into a single, more compact review...

Whilst here, said vagabonds removed my grey Fixcraft bar pad - you know, the ones with the gayglitter FC logo - do you still have one in stock? The last time I looked they weren't showing on your website.

Neil - Cross Hares, Manchester UK

This man has exposed himself as an imposter. Everyone knows people from the UK have never used or much less seen a toothbrush in their pasty-skinned lives.

Would anyone who has a Velolucuma frame with couplings care to comment on it? At tournaments last year I picked up whatever Velolucuma/Marino bike I could find to get a feel for weight and the non-coupling frames were much heavier than my bike, the coupling ones even more so, like twice the weight of my bike. Does anyone have a newer model? Anecdotally, the guy making them seems to be improving his manufacture as he goes. I am very interested in opinions about weight and robustness of these "breakaway" frames.

My 700 with couplers is 9 months now and still going strong after a bunch of plain trips (never had to pay). The only downside is that the upper bolt snaps after taking it apart and assembling two times, perhaps a slight miss alignment. Dont feel it is heavier though.... another guy in SD is getting a 26 in with couplers more on that later i suppose.

As long as it's only the bolt that breaks and not the built-in clamps! I do have a preference for 700 so your experience is pretty helpful. My Scrambler is 11.5kg totally built up and I'm curious to know what yours might weigh in at. I wanted to take my bike to Florida this weekend but for a lousy 8 linear inches I can't because American Airlines wants $150 each way off me. I'd rather save the $300 and get something made to reliably avoid the charges.

Eh it really is not the size they care aboot... its weight they really check. My bike with polo gear packed is def oversized (with 700c it is almost impossible) and comes in at around 17kg.

My Velolucuma 26er travel frameset will be coming next week in the mail. I'm happy to provide some input once I build it up & play a few games on it.

Does anybody have any tips on how to get in contact with either Velo Lucuma or Fleet Velo?

I've been trying to purchase a frame from Velo Lucuma for weeks and I haven't heard much from them.

I emailed them on October 23 and got an email right back saying they would be happy to help me find a frame I want, but that it would have to wait until Nov 1. They were traveling or something.

I sent another email on the 4th. Haven't heard shit.

I emailed Fleet Velo on Nov 2. How long should I expect to wait before hearing back from them? All I asked them for was a Joust Wide with disc brake tabs. I can't imagine that would scare them off.

Is this what it was like for any of you when you got your frames?

That's par for the course. I'm currently waiting on a Rustbelt Marco. Placed my order nearly 2 months ago.
FleetVelo has a bit of a wait as well. I know several who've bought new Jousts and had to wait a long time for them.
I sit next to a guy at work who bought a fat bike frame from VeloLucuma. He waited a long time.

The fastest brand new polo bike I've ever gotten was my Milwuakee Polo Bruiser. It was painted the color of my choice and shipped to my door less than 2 weeks from the date I ordered it.

I had to wait to get my Joust built, but the order process went quickly. To expedite, call Waterford directly.

D FENS

The turnover for my velolucuma was about a month and a week from the time that I paid for the bike. They were painfully slow to reply to me (sometimes as long as a week). If that's the bike you want I would wait until it's been a week (since your last e-mail) before you give up.

Wow. Thanks. I was beginning to take this personally.

I understand that there is going to be a long wait time from the time I pay and place my order and when I'm going to receive the thing, but I expected their communication to be better than this. It's like they know I want their frame, but they don't seem to care. Makes me feel like they don't want my money. Not good business.

I may be mistaken but I believe the ONLY way to order a Joust now is to contact Waterford directly.

You'll see. Unless you drilled out your eyes because they were too heavy.

Oh? Thanks for this info. I used the "Contact Us" tab (http://fleetvelo.com/fv/contact-us), but I'm not sure where the email I sent went. I'm assuming fleetone@fleetvelo.com because that's the address at the very bottom of each page.

Tomorrow I'll test my luck with calling Waterford.