Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles

what else can you use to make a mallet?

what else can you use to make a mallet?

Ski poles are in short supply in Havana, so Tomás resourcefully used an umbrella handle to make his mallet. I have a lead on some bamboo (and luckily have a prototype, courtesy of Guru Matt). What else have people tried?

Don't even talk to me about Fixcraft (much as I love them for supporting The Means). One of their shafts costs more than most Cubans make in a month, even if they could get through the #$%^&*ing blockade.

Probably bamboo is your best bet- i've seen bamboo mallets that held up quite well.

Aluminum conduit can be used, but it's heavy and weak. Same with aluminum broom/shovel handles.
Golf club shafts- but they're probably no more common than ski poles.
1/2 of a pair of crutches, if you can get used to the bend.

If you have access to a hardware store, straight gauge aluminum tubes should be pretty cheap, and surely stronger than an umbrella handle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fixcraft.net

How many people are playing in Havana? Perhaps we could mail some your way?

We've tried bamboo as well and discovered the bottom part tends to first break over the length the shaft, which can be solved (after it split) by enforcing it; weaving some thin slices of duck tape over the crack’s. Head can be placed with a philips screw and a ~M8 plastic wall plug, glued inside the lower end of the bamboo stick. We've put a hose tightener around the shaft, inside the head to prevent splitting. It's relatively light, -strong and has a nice bounce to it when hitting the ball. Use a light as possible head and you've build yourselves a winner! There seems to be a huge difference in the quality of bamboo though, the really dry stuff snaps at the first hit it gets. (https://picasaweb.google.com/113392194231145798572/Bamboom)

We've also tried the straight gauge alu tubes, they are heavy and attaching the head turned out to be a bit tricky. Perhaps wooden walking stick's could work as well, or simply branches from a tree? When using wood; look for the parts with a complete core, no knot's, etc. Learned a lot about choosing wood from diy archery pages. We have once build a mallet from a 'lightweight' soft-wooden broomstick. Turned out to be a bit of a hammer though..

Thanks - what a kind offer! We have 25 signed up, only about 15 turn up regularly; within that a fanatical core of 9 or 10. The mallets my son brought last year to get us started are beginning to look pretty battered. I brought some ABS cut in 6" lengths for heads, but didn't have room for poles and didn't think to bring the fixings. That's for next trip; thanks for the tip about the wall plugs; I'll get some of those too.

Mailing anything to Cuba is an iffy proposition, but if you know anyone who's coming for a visit and would be willing to mule us some mallets, that would be fantastic. We're trying to get recognition as an official sports team so that our US friends can come and play without risking a $50000 fine (I think we could then host events to which US residents could travel legally).

cranberrybogg wrote:

We're trying to get recognition as an official sports team so that our US friends can come and play without risking a $50000 fine (I think we could then host events to which US residents could travel legally).

This is one of the best things I've ever read on this board. Is there anything we can do to help this along?

Yes, you would definitely have a lot of support from your polo friends outside CUBA. But I suspect there isn't much a non-Cuban can do for what sounds like a bureaucratic issue.

Legalize Hand Throws - 2014

Best plan ever.

Thanks! The encouragement definitely helps, though Alex is right that it's a matter of going through the bureaucratic hoops here. I think it will happen eventually, it's just hard slogging. I can't even help much, except behind the scenes, because I'm just a temporary resident, but there are a lot of people eager to make it happen. For starters, we have a formal agreement with the Institute for Sport, Physical Education and and Recreation for the use of one of their courts once a week for four hours. They even gave us a key to the padlock, and are open to giving us more hours if we need them. I'd say we're off to a good start.

If you're really in a pinch, you can use a 3/4" hardwood dowel from a building supply or furniture shop. 36" lengths are common.

Thanks, guys. Cubans can only dream of being able to walk into a hardware or building supply store and finding any kind of tubes or dowels, so I guess we'll go with bamboo. I was just wondering if there was anything obvious I was overlooking.

¡Impresionante! Creo que es genial que ustedes están tan involucrados y entusiasmados con crecimiento y reproducción de bike polo en Cuba. Espero poder jugar con ustedes un día :)

íOjalá!

Tú piensas los equipos de Cuba podrían llegar a Florida este Octubre por los campeonatos?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you aren't sinning, Jesus died for nothing.

☺Maybe if Michael Anthony shows up at the door with cheque from John Beresford Tipton (antique TV reference; my age is showing). And if someone else invents a time machine so they can start the visa applications last year. It's a wonderful thought, though. Players here are just craving a chance to play with other folks. We're still working on getting recognized as an official sport; if that comes through, maybe we can at least host and event you guys can legally attend.

What do you folks use for mallet heads?

ABS that I brought from Canada, cut in 6" lengths. Tomás who used the umbrella handle used some random piece of pipe he had lying around, maybe PVC.

Here are some bamboo mallets a friend made for some little kids who were hanging out watching us and wanted to try. He had the bamboo lying around in his garage; it's a bit crooked. The last batch of mallet heads I brought is a bit narrow, so we might switch these out for our full-size mallets when we get better bamboo.

• peewee mallets.jpg

If possible split your bamboo into strips and make a bundle of bamboo 3/4" in diameter that is bound together with wire or zip ties or electrical tape. I you had four 1/4" wide by 36"+ strips of bamboo bound together it would be light and take more abuse than a normal bamboo cane that is a 1/2-3/4" diameter, maybe. Good luck.

you betta bring the Heat!
Chuck

Neat idea: a laminated mallet shaft! Thanks for the tip. We'll experiment. If you have a photo of a prototype, please post.

being completely serious despite ignorance of legalities...you could probably coordinate an "at sea" mallet purchase with/from Miami. if the clubs have access to a boat it shouldn't be that difficult to arrange or you could do a Paypal link for a boat rental and let us absorb the cost just to ambassador polo in Cuba. Miami could do a ski pole and abs drive and donate it all if the money's tight for polo specific gear.

Both creative and generous - thanks for the ideas!

You guys are all so creative!

To give you an update, I just ordered 20 bamboo poles at 50 cents each. The price is right, that's for sure. I go to Canada on Wednesday and will pick up the screws. And lots of hockey tape!

Here's a crop of future mallets...can't wait to see them at play.

• DSC_9449.jpg

Always great to have a big bundle of new supplies! Thats going to make a fun Saturday putting all those together!

Winston Salem NC Bike Polo

about time for a followup pic...

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/p235x350/970051_...

How the heck do I upload a photo here?

img src="link here" alt="text description"

Surround the whole thing with < and >

Less than img src="https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/p235x350/970051_521529524632675_1768649830_n.jpg" alt="text description" Greater than

thanks, Jeffrey - that looks really scary. didn't you used to be able to just click on something? :-)

Yup, there was a space to upload an image I think. I just revisit that post and copy paste it, too weird to remember.

^ Awesome. Post some pics of Havana Polo!

howl wrote:

^ Awesome. Post some pics of Havana Polo!

Will post some below. Meanwhile, better sources, in approximate order of quantity, are
https://www.facebook.com/HavanaBikePolo?fref=ts
http://leagueofbikepolo.com/club/havana-bike-polo and
http://leagueofbikepolo.com/forum/places-travel/2012/02/06/havana-bike-polo

for Howl

These are all by Robin Thom, who was visiting from Vancouver. There are lots more of his photos on our FB.

• _40U2673.jpg
  • en 23.jpg
  • Ricard Kiko Otto.jpg

and these are from my crappy Android phone.

• Kiko Choncho Michel Laura.jpg
  • 2nd day of polo in Havana.jpg
  • Vladimir Choncho.jpg

(Yea, I know this is a bit late in the game, but if someone does a google search it might help.)

You mentioned bamboo but what about rattan? I once was a medieval stick-jock and our weapons were made from rattan (solid bamboo, like used in rattan furniture) and could take a beating, repeatedly and forcefully smacked into 12 and 14 gauge steel helmets and the edges of metal and wooden shields over q very long period of time (1 to 10 years).

Another idea, if I haven't missed it, is using strapping tape in a spiral the length of the shaft. If the bamboo cracks, the strapping tape would already provide the reinforcement mentioned with duck tape, will last much longer, and aids in the safety of preventing the shaft from breaking off and becoming a nasty poky thing.

I did have an idea of using three fiberglass electrical fence post rods strapping taped together. $3 shaft if it holds up, tho the mounting hardware hasn't been thought out yet.

Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed mallet!

I really like this idea, light and strong.
About the duck-tape that works, but only for a while (as the bamboo tends to ruin the tape), I've used a cotton string and superglue as a base for the duck-tape and after two years it's still a solid mallet, although it doesn't compete with aluminium really..