Jump to Navigation

Login / Register

St Cago bike polo mallets DZR bike shoes for street and bike polo Velolocuma bicycles

2013 Eastside Regional Qualifier

Eastside Regional Qualifier 2013
Saturday, April 13, 2013 - Sunday, April 14, 2013
Host club: 
Boston

*****REGISTER HERE!!****

Boston Bike Polo is proud to announce that we will be host the of the 2013 NAH Eastside Regional Qualifier (ERQ)

This event is made possible with help from your homies at:

Screen Shot 2013-03-20 at 11.13.54 PMczr45sq2p5hnymto44a4Screen Shot 2013-03-20 at 11.07.08 PMtumblr_mgmr80JVMO1s2qbvqo1_1280

Find all the details HERE at eastsides2013.info

DATE:
Saturday + Sunday April 13 + 14 2013

TIME:

Saturday AM Swiss Rounds – 10:00am – 1pm, 11 teams TBA
Saturday PM Swiss Rounds – 2:00pm – 5:00pm, 10 teams TBA

**--BONUS TORQUE ROUND--***
Saturday evening swiss – 6:00pm – 9:45pm, ALL TEAMS

Sunday Double Elim Bracket – 10:00am – Top 24 teams

LOCATION:
Hockey town USA,
953 Broadway (aka Rt 1. North)
Saugus, Massachusetts

REGISTRATION:
32 Team Capacity
Hardcourt.org registration

$60 registrations fee + $10 NAH fee
Please pay via a Paypal DONATION to tobihowelluk@gmail.com.

COURTS:
150ft x 70ft, outside, full roof and hockey boards +glass. Plasic street hockey surface. Hockey nets, modified with plywood for NAH compliance
160ft x 65ft, inside, full hockey boards + glass. Plastic street hockey surface. Hockey nets, modified with plywood for NAH compliance

See www.Eastsides2013.info for more

Location

Hockey Town USA
953 Broadway
Saugus, MA
United States

Signed up

But the real question is:
Will Alexis Nick and Chris be the keepers of the cup forevermore?

I thought they blew it up in Fredrick last year.

Keep your standards low, and morale high.

i thought we were having a separate ESPI. lol

Yes, keeping ESPI alive as a separate open tournament is still part of the conversation.

To add some certainty to the future, I'm happy to say that the Eastside qualifier will now be organized two years ahead with the announcement that Lancaster United will be hosting the 2014 qualifier!
http://lancasterpolo.com/2013/01/08/announcing-lancaster-united-to-host-...

With that tournament in Lancaster's hands, we can all spend some time in Boston talking about how we can host a 2013 ESPI over the summer, or in the fall.

KOWLOONS KOWLOONS KOWLOONSKOWLOONSKOWLOONS

You have to go out of town to get inside jokes.
============================
themeans.xxx
themeansbikepolo.com
fixcraft

Nick RVA wrote:

KOWLOONS KOWLOONS KOWLOONSKOWLOONSKOWLOONS

NEIL_YOUNG wrote:
Nick RVA wrote:

KOWLOONS KOWLOONS KOWLOONSKOWLOONSKOWLOONS

fully kowloons sponsed

So you can amend the NAH rules and still be a sanctioned qualifier?

emoxfag wrote:

So you can amend the NAH rules and still be a sanctioned qualifier?

We're just being thorough, so everyone knows what is going down before hand.

Nothing has been added that hasn't been added at any other NAH tournament. We just put it on the Internet.

What kind of shit are you starting Addison?

____________
The only reason anyone does anything.
For the lulz.

hella

this isn't a sleight against the organizers, but the NAH rule makers. If people are allowed to alter rules to better suit the event, and it's how things go at all the events, shouldn't this be how the rules are written? if not then why make such an overly detailed rule list if people are going to alter them because they don't fit the current system and people won't follow them?

they clarified constraints on the game outline and organization based on their event environmental constraints, to which all qualifiers are allowed to do as long as it isn't adjusting the technical rules of the game. every location to host is different and everywhere has different timelines etc that need to be individually considered.
it was approved because it doesn't change how the game is played when in game, it only allows the organizers to provide better timelines and utilize their rented space more effectively.

that is not to say that the qualifiers and their hosts can run with this and make egregious changes, and they must all be discussed with nah prior to the tournament date to ensure the continuity of the nah tour series.

this is all the same as last year, but as addison said, they put it on the internet ahead of time and low and behold, criticism awaits.
;]

chandel. wrote:

they clarified constraints on the game outline and organization based on their event environmental constraints, to which all qualifiers are allowed to do as long as it isn't adjusting the technical rules of the game. every location to host is different and everywhere has different timelines etc that need to be individually considered.
it was approved because it doesn't change how the game is played when in game, it only allows the organizers to provide better timelines and utilize their rented space more effectively.

that is not to say that the qualifiers and their hosts can run with this and make egregious changes, and they must all be discussed with nah prior to the tournament date to ensure the continuity of the nah tour series.

this is all the same as last year, but as addison said, they put it on the internet ahead of time and low and behold, criticism awaits.
;]

it's all fine, but you avoided my actual criticism. why make so many rules if they can be altered at nah sanctioned events. it really sounds kind of stupid to have people take all the time and input into making this ruleset to have it altered.
i gues i have no reason to really comment because i'm not involved in any aspect of this event at all. i just found it kind of fucky.

Original Artwerk

thats a great flyer!

Registration is set to open for friday 02/01/2013 at noon easyside time on harcourt.org
link - http://hardcourtbikepolo.org/polo/main/tournament/103.html

in the middle of the work day?

Tex wrote:

in the middle of the work day?

aka lunchtime.

i was going to make registration only via instagram, but jav convinced me otherwise

Jamie would have won that click race.

raddison wrote:

Registration is set to open for friday 02/01/2013 at noon easyside time on harcourt.org
link - http://hardcourtbikepolo.org/polo/main/tournament/103.html

Anyone need me as a team mate???

I'm pretty sure we're not FWENDS!!!
GET THROWED!!!
KTALKKTALKKTALK!!!

Got my ear to the ground lookin for team mates for the upcoming Eastside regional qualifier. Otherwise looking to play in another regional qualifier.

SQUAD UP!

Looking for a team as well

raddison wrote:

Registration is set to open for friday 02/01/2013 at noon easyside time on harcourt.org
link - http://hardcourtbikepolo.org/polo/main/tournament/103.html

Javier wrote:
raddison wrote:

Registration is set to open for friday 02/01/2013 at noon easyside time on harcourt.org
link - http://hardcourtbikepolo.org/polo/main/tournament/103.html

Is the clock off on hardcourtbikepolo.org? It looks like registration doesn't open until 12:26pm EST

The clock on Hardcourt controls. Unless you're RVA, apparently.

Los Originales- "we live in the future"

SQUAD UP!

i have this problem as well.

edit: fixed

Yo everyone registration is open-

If you could all find it in your hearts and wallets & pay registration ASAP, cuz we have a deposit due for the courts. Thanks friends

I'm looking for a team, if anybody needs a third let me know!

Padilha

If any east coast team needs a third let me know, i can't do the midwest with a conflict of dates. so message me if need a teammate.
lee

you can sign up as a single at http://hardcourtbikepolo.org/polo/main/tournament/103.html

I, as well, am looking for a time for I to play on. I'd like to get back on them smooth hockey town courts!

Yo, we got this. Let's get a third, dude

You knows it

I'm all in. looks like there are a couple or three people looking for teamate. Colin Deez and I need one. anyone have interest in joining?

you should play with JOHN H. see below.

Sorry Ds, got my sights set on q.

If we don't get more teams signed up, toni's gonna have to sell back his new bionic knee replacement to pay HT for the court time.. DO IT FOR TONI.

we've been playing at the hockeytown courts at least once a week. sometimes more.
anyone and everyone is welcome to come join us to get a feel for the courts, and a taste of Kowloon ;^)

Sorry to miss this... haven't missed an espi or its equivalent since you guys had it last time.

BOWBOWBOWBOWBOWBOWBOWBOWBOWBOWBOWBOWBOWBOWBOWBOWBOW!!! BITCH IMMA SAUGUS ON EM!!

I'm pretty sure we're not FWENDS!!!
GET THROWED!!!
KTALKKTALKKTALK!!!

oh and in the words of goose "yall puuuuuuuuusssies" if ya dont do one over route one over the weekend too!

I'm pretty sure we're not FWENDS!!!
GET THROWED!!!
KTALKKTALKKTALK!!!

I'm thinking about coming to this, if the price of flights is ok.

Any reasonably strong team need a third. I'd like to have some chance of qualifying if I come.

yo someone play with this dude

Thanks.

Flights are fairly cheap, so let me know (as soon as possible) and I'll be there

I'll echo that. Pick up John!

yeah, John is awesome. he can more than carry his own.

Hey John. We've got a pretty laid back club here but in the next week or so we will have a few more teams sign up and you should be ok for a decent team. Did you speak to Jav in Toronto?

Yeah, I spoke to Javier and Lomax, and decided to come based on those conversations.

Yeah, glad to hear you want to come!

We'll try to get you a local team, but it might be smart to hit up some out-of-regioner not attending their own regionals and have them all convert to easyside. If they convert to easyside for the season they can qualify here at the erq. doesn't matter where they actually live.

someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Howdy John, your more than welcome to join our team: zborg, cdees (Burlington, VT natives), haven't signed up yet but will do if you join up!

I think, according to the rules, you have to have an Easysider on your squad... Someone correct me if I'm wrong

edit: The wording is a bit hard to understand but you have to have TWO easysiders OR 3 peeps from 3 different region as long as one is easyside:
"note that the two-thirds rule will still apply, but that any individual player will only be allowed to play in one regional event. Any team with all, or two-thirds, of its players from a single region must play in that region"

...good thing you two are moving to boston at the end of this month

raddison wrote:

I think, according to the rules, you have to have an Easysider on your squad... Someone correct me if I'm wrong

edit: The wording is a bit hard to understand but you have to have TWO easysiders OR 3 peeps from 3 different region as long as one is easyside:
"note that the two-thirds rule will still apply, but that any individual player will only be allowed to play in one regional event. Any team with all, or two-thirds, of its players from a single region must play in that region"

...good thing you two are moving to boston at the end of this month

I think if John plays as an Eastside player for the whole season it will be ok. I think Chandel will chime in and clear a few things up for us.

I'm like really-far-east-side.

But I'd agree, I'm not sure how we could be Eastside without a single Eastside player (I assumed VT was).

But anyway, I think I might have found some Boston players to play with, just waiting on confirmation.

John H wrote:

I'm like really-far-east-side.

But I'd agree, I'm not sure how we could be Eastside without a single Eastside player (I assumed VT was).

But anyway, I think I might have found some Boston players to play with, just waiting on confirmation.

Yes youre right, you do need an eastsider and it sounds like youre hooked up with our little lefty ball of hate.

hey guys! i meant to clarify things on this earlier but got side tracked by the tournament we had down here.

anyways! ok, john is international so would have to play with at least one east side player and then anyone else. this would have to be the only qualifier he, or any of the teammates would play in. vermont is actually northsides so if the boys/potential team is moving then they need to be there by the tournament date!

if you've got a team of eastsiders ready then you're good to go. register and get ready to have fun up in boston! great job by all of the boston crew! miss all of you!

Hey, looks like we wouldn't be allowed to sign up together anyway, plus I think I may have a team. Just waiting to confirm...

Nice! Good luck out there!

Also, just throwing it out there, being out of region, I'd be willing to ref here, especially if there was a way to help cover travel costs.

we won't have money for refs unfortunately. unless NAH steps up with some cash or we raise the entry fee. either of which i personally would be fine with ;)

because of the unexpectedly low turnout so far, our budget is maxed out.

that said, we are actually working to assemble a top class ref squad for this so let me know if you are still interested in coming.

of course the bright side to the low turnout is that we have two pristine courts booked for two full 12 hour days to run what will probably be a ~20 team tourney. so yeah, lots of polo.

so if you like playing lots of polo you should come and qualify at the easyside. you're welcome.

Javier wrote:

we won't have money for refs unfortunately. unless NAH steps up with some cash or we raise the entry fee. either of which i personally would be fine with ;)

because of the unexpectedly low turnout so far, our budget is maxed out.

that said, we are actually working to assemble a top class ref squad for this so let me know if you are still interested in coming.

i'll stay in touch about it. especially if i can travel with paul again, it would make it doable.

Hey folks. For some reason Addisons paypal is charging him a fee for the few people that have already signed up.

Please use my paypal: tobihowelluk@gmail.com and gift the $70

in the message just put your team name and the players.

Thanks

For a personal account it has to do with the method of payment they use, not the option they choose.

If they're paying from a bank account or an existing PayPal balance and they choose any of the personal options (gift / payment owed etc) then there shouldn't be a fee. If they're paying from a card (debit or CC)--no matter the option--there's a fee.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

"Sending money to friends and family is free for you and the recipient when you fund the transfer with your bank account or PayPal balance. You can also use a debit or credit card or make an international transfer for a small fee."

Thanks for the input Daniel. Addison may have a business account though! Please can everybody make sure they pay via Paypal then, and not a credit card, or we'll come chasing you for the fees.

Would really like to make it to this if some one wants to pick up a 3rd from the Midwest!!!!!

Ok, I've booked my flight. We just need a third player (Eastside or otherwise)

^ Nice one. You'll be all set soon. You'll be pleased to know the little ball of hate was scoring yesterday.

Everybody please try and PayPal me by April 2nd

Don't forget to lock in your housing/hotels.

Thanks

Hey, was wondering if an all out of team region can sign up? Timing for Eastsides is better for our Rochester team and we won't be able to go to Northsides, if possible we want to try and attend and play in only East sides. Thanks, if any info is available on this.

No. Read the discussion above for related discussion on the rules. Not our call. Sorry, honestly wish we could say yes.

raddison wrote:

No. Read the discussion above for related discussion on the rules. Not our call. Sorry, honestly wish we could say yes.

How does one decided what club they want to belong too? couldn't we just say we're from nyc club? or somewhere in PA?

Thats totally okay, thanks!

does anybody know how hard it would be to get a mountain dew sponsorship for our team?
i'm fucking addicted to two things on this earth: mountain dew and bike polo.
one of those things will probably kill me and the other one involves bikes.

My best guess to get sponsored by MD would be to contact a local distributor, and maybe start there. Or if you're friends with someone in Corporate, that can't hurt either. I would imagine you'd have to build the standard team profile/resume to make it stand a chance.

Boston here. I'm not playing in the tournament due to my work schedule, but if anyone plans on coming into town early, like Wednesday, Thursday or early Friday and needs a place to crash or a ride from the airport, message me. Limited space and you might want to bring an air mattress. They're will probably be pick up at the Allston court.

Free agent. John?!!?

You knows it

I think my team is sorted, sorry.

REGISTRATION:
32 Team Capacity
Hardcourt.org registration
*****REGISTRATION OPEN HERE!!****
$60 registrations fee + $10 NAH fee
Please pay via a Paypal DONATION to tobihowelluk@gmail.com.
**MAKE SURE TO SEND AS A DONATION OTHERWISE THEY"LL STEEL R MONEY**
Registration deadline: April 2, 2013

This deadline is also for payment, for those already registered.

Thanks!

What's the NAH fee? I don't mind paying, just curious.

No Taxation Without Representation!

See the thing about this is nobody knows and nobody will say.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fixcraft.net

Nick Kruse wrote:

See the thing about this is nobody knows and nobody will say.

I thought NAH paid you post and stir things up on here Nick? How much did you cash in from my/Adonis BenchMinor win in Ottawa?

Nick, anyone who has paid any attention whatsoever to NAH at anytime during the past two years of qualifiers should know that a $10 per team NAH fee is built into the qualifier registration. So I'll continue to assume that you're trolling.

Nick knows about the fee. His comment is in regards to the taxation without representation comment and the fact that what can only be assumed is a majority of bike polo players in NAH not knowing where their money goes.

There is representation. Nick’s representatives are Eric Kremin, Jerod Walz, and Jimmy Flaherty. He could email them and express his concerns, or I guess just keep posting complaints on a website that’s not even connected to NAH.

Also, it's not exactly a secret. This was posted on the NAH Website and linked to the facebook for like a year and a half until the website exploded:

http://leagueofbikepolo.com/node/15495

There is a contingency fund for critical last-minute tournament issues. Always has been, still is. The fees fill it. Modestly.

eric_dc wrote:

or I guess just keep posting complaints on a website that’s not even connected to NAH.

i mean... it sort of is... right?

Hey I get it but it seems a lot of people don't. It is useful to clarify what fees are for when asking for them. I get that there is a contingency fund, that's cool but we could probably use a shift in how the $10 NAH fee is presented. It is largely presented and collected by regional qualifier organizers, who are largely non-NAH representatives and generally seems to be presented as: "this fee that we were told we have to charge but we don't know why and nobody tells us anything about it". I think that It would significantly improve player interest in paying and supporting NAH if it said "$10 NAH Fee (Used for contingency fund - Link with information on how your fees are used).

.

it was ten bucks a team at last year's espi.

Javier wrote:

REGISTRATION:
32 Team Capacity
Hardcourt.org registration
*****REGISTRATION OPEN HERE!!****
$60 registrations fee + $10 NAH fee
Please pay via a Paypal DONATION to tobihowelluk@gmail.com.
**MAKE SURE TO SEND AS A DONATION OTHERWISE THEY"LL STEEL R MONEY**
Registration deadline: April 2, 2013

This deadline is also for payment, for those already registered.

Thanks!

PAYPAL me within the next 8 days please. Thanks

Anyone Eastsiders need a third from Canada?

Tex wrote:

Anyone Eastsiders need a third from Canada?

talk to sausage fingers and the Baker...

Javier wrote:
Tex wrote:

Anyone Eastsiders need a third from Canada?

talk to sausage fingers and the Baker...

Sausage says he's on a diet for LA

dozen eggs and a pack of flour tortillas.. yeah i know..

if the NAH secret police ask any of you, Pippa and I live in the commonwealth. EAST! SIDE!

You'll have to pass the Commonwealth tests for confirmation of citizenship in the Commonwealth. Be ready for the pop quiz on site.

fair enough, as long as we get to play polo after the quiz

The_BORG wrote:

if the NAH secret police ask any of you, Pippa and I live in the commonwealth. EAST! SIDE!

Thats awesome Zack!

Time to book a hotel, I heard there is an option right near hockey town?

Kevin_DC wrote:

Time to book a hotel, I heard there is an option right near hockey town?

the holiday inn right next to the court is somehow booked up for the Saturday night but has rooms for the Friday and Sunday. Red Roof inn is 1/2 mile down the road is the best value near Hockey Town. If you're driving to Boston you can pretty much stay anywhere. Hockey Town is only a 20 minute drive from downtown.

Will the red roof inn welcome polo players after the dumpster fire of 2011?

So what's the deal with the surface?

What is a "plastic street hockey surface"?

Is it solid? Or some sort of grid thing (I've heard a few different things)

Quite slippy?

Surely anything designed for small rollerblade wheels will be fine for slick tyres?

Its a woven plastic grid and quite slippery, but it just takes a bit of getting use to. If your riding on thick 26ers you should be alright

eyes up
feet down

But is the grid big enough for tyres with tread to make a difference? I assume not.

Is this the stuff?

its called blue waffle and it separates the men from the boys

lol.

I almost google image searched that... almost.

http://www.select2gether.com/connor-sport-court-motormat-open-grid-12'-x-12'-drain-tile-blue-pack-of-40-dtbbl-detail-14765944

thanks

rice

anyone need a third?

pick him up.

Where's Brunner gonna be? Me, you and Kyle?

Dude, playing in Midwests, which means I'm not allowed to play at the Eastside tourney

Grrrr...missed it anyway. Looking forward to playing with you again. Plan on the keystone classic in Lanco!

OK PAY DAY PAY PAL DAY SEND ME $70 TODAY PLEASE. tobihowelluk@gmail.com

about half the teams have paid so far.

Thanks

Tobi wrote:

OK PAY DAY PAY PAL DAY SEND ME $70 TODAY PLEASE. tobihowelluk@gmail.com

about half the teams have paid so far.

Thanks

We still have 7 teams who have failed to make payment. Please do this ASAP or the fee will increase. We don't want to chase people around Hockey Town for money as we will have better things to be doing with our time. Many thanks

Tobi wrote:
Tobi wrote:

OK PAY DAY PAY PAL DAY SEND ME $70 TODAY PLEASE. tobihowelluk@gmail.com

about half the teams have paid so far.

Thanks

We still have 7 teams who have failed to make payment. Please do this ASAP or the fee will increase. We don't want to chase people around Hockey Town for money as we will have better things to be doing with our time. Many thanks

The donate function is charging me $2.33 per $70 if you pay by Credit Card. So far only 2 of you have donated that way.

Is anyone still looking for a team, or is a team looking for a third? I swing both ways atm.

one in the goal is worth two in the traipse

Yeah I don't want to make the 8 Hour Dr. if we don't have it third team member

You still looking for a team? Me and another from RVA are looking for a third.

Sorry bud, apparently, we have 3. See you there?

#fully #torqued

Whoa

Hey folks. The RED ROOF INN AND HOLIDAY INN - are now both fully booked for the Saturday night but have rooms for the Sunday should you need them.

Only 1 team have yet to pay the registration:

Jeffrey Gerhart Joshua Maes☝ NYC D_NOLA NYC Johnny Crash YOW

You're in luck. That means you'll only have to chase around one team.

We'll pay in cash on Sat morning, we're not smart enough to use PayPal.

we'll accept the non NAH portion of the reg fee in splīfs as well

Unfortunate events have led to my team being without a third. Is anyone still looking for a team?

Hey I'm driving down with a buddy who doesn't have a team as of yet. I'm sure he would be down to join up as long as you are both in-region since he's from up North. Send me a message if you want his name and info

aww man, just saw this :( Already scooped someone else up. Hope he can find a team
Thanks for looking out though

Hey folks- anyone flying in/arriving late Thursday night that might want to split a cab or that I can bribe give me a lift from the airport? Eh, eh, eh?

Crab shots.

Depending on where you are staying// how much shit you have, public transit is very accessible. What time does your flight get in?

eyes up
feet down

10:50pm :/ does public transport still run after 11?

Crab shots.

Yes it runs till 1245. Where in the city are you staying?

eyes up
feet down

so, funny story... my plans have apparently fallen through for tonight (Thursday). Can anyone offer floor space or recommend a hostel? I'll happily bribe said person with beer and inappropriate jokes. I have hotel reservations starting Friday evening, so am only in need of a place to crash tonight!

Crab shots.

You are welcome to my floor// couch if you don't mind cats.

eyes up
feet down

http://www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/logan/#Blue

blue line is super easy and cheap. your bike can be assembled if you're riding non peak hours.

will there be pick up friday? if so where and when

As of right now it looks like rain. But we're on doppla watch

eyes up
feet down

nobody wants to play pickup with you guys because whoever does would contract a certain skin fungus that is in the shape of a circle.
the name escapes me.

tapeworm

Ringworm man, Ringworm

Hey folks. Just a friendly reminder for everybody to respect Hockey Town and the staff. We will be sharing restrooms and the parking with the public. There are not expected to be many other groups skating this weekend so we will pretty much have the place to ourselves. There is a snack shop where the owners wife serves waffle fries and cornhole dogs so be nice to her. Keep your drinks discreet and use the trashcans. Hockey Town requires each player to sign a waiver should you get crippled and want to sue them. See you all on Saturday morning!

Just so y'all know... folks can be bailed out at: 27 Hamilton St, Saugas, MA.

I looked it up.

Hey boston, any chance anyone can take 2 DCers in on Friday night just for a little floor space. Myself and Sean are driving up and getting in around midnight and just looks for a roof for a few hours of sleep.

Also, Any word on a Saturday schedule yet?

The Saturday schedule is up above in the OP. We have scheduled in two one-hour breaks in case we go long on time, but hopefully we can get some pickup in as well.

Podium is up for people to see standings and what group they are in.

http://www.followpodium.com/eastside

We will try our best to start promptly Saturday. We will start games if players are missing. Your game will be forfeited if your team isn't there.

For those unfamiliar with Hockeytown, there is a few minute walk between the two courts so please keep track with podium and get to the court before your game starts.

There is also minimal space to stow gear so just carry what you need to play. This is a big facility with a lot of random people walking around, so beware of theft.

As Toni said, please respect Hockeytown and its staff.

Anyone driving from Boston to hockeytown tonight? Jamelyn needs a ride from the city to her hotel

That Orange Line to the 430 bus in Malden was pretty casual, if she's screwed. Got from Logan to Cambridge then up to Saugus for less than 5 bucks

1) The Means (RVA,NYC,OTT)
2) DGT (PHL,BOS,PGH)
3) WhiteFang (BOS,BOS,BOS)
4) Philly (PHL,PHI,PHL)
5= Los Or!ginals (RVA,RVA,RVA)
5= Magic Toast (NYC,NYC,NYC)
7) Thinly Sliced Cabbage (BOS,BOS,BVT)

Tobi wrote:

1) The Means (RVA,NYC,OTT)
2) DGT (PHL,BOS,PGH)
3) WhiteFang (BOS,BOS,BOS)
4) Philly (PHL,PHI,PHL)
5= Los Or!ginals (RVA,RVA,RVA)
5= Magic Toast (NYC,NYC,NYC)
7) Thinly Sliced Cabbage (BOS,BOS,BVT)

LOL at Thinly Sliced Cabbage being from BOS, BOS, BVT.

anywho, great job everybody, boston always delivers a good time. hockey town was sweet.

x2 to the Thinly Sliced Cabbage comment. That's just disingenuous.

Thanks Boston! It was nice to meet your club and the courts at hockeytown were wonderful! I'm still not sure what to make of Kowloons, except that the scorpion bowl was a solid choice.

natred wrote:

LOL at Thinly Sliced Cabbage being from BOS, BOS, BVT.

Yeah. From *my* understanding of the in/out region it's pretty weird that a team that seems like they shouldn't have been allowed to play (per the NAH rules, in an NAH sanctioned event), goes on to qualify and bump out a team that's clearly in-region that should've qualified (Tucker, Chuck, and Sean).

SCANDAL!

Edit:

Another option would be to bypass NAH all together and just ask TSC to do the right thing and step aside. Why bother with the red tape of NAH when an appeal to the integrity of two Burlingtoners and a Bostonian could be just as effective.

If they are proven to be out of region, stepping aside falls short. The entire tournament was impacted... Win/loss records, goal differentials, match-ups... Butterfly effect. The silence about this is deafening.

I agree in principle. We can't really do much about that part of it now, though. Seems like the the most logistically viable thing to ask for would be for the next in-region team to replace them.

TUCKY!!! TUCKY!!! TUCKY!!!

Sean and Chuck are OK too.

Did anyone find a small black tool bag, had a few wrenches, oil, levers, etc inside? Lost it on Saturday at the courts. Would be cool to get it back. Lemme know.

a little crazy here today with all this terrorist bullshit, but just wanted to thank everyone for coming up to play with us. it was a blast. a special thanks to JT, John H, Eric and the others I'm forgetting who helped ref games and keep things rolling. see y'all around.

Javier wrote:

it was a blast.

you're not kiddin!

We here at Boston Bike Polo feel that Thinly Sliced Cabbage have unfortunately been branded as being "Disingenuous" because of rumors that appear to have spread about their eligibility to compete as an Eastside Team.

Those who have spoken up and commented here do not know the true facts about this team. If Boston Bike Polo had in anyway felt or known that TSC were out of region we would not have allowed them to play in this Eastside qualifier.

If you read this whole thread you will see that Zack posted here about living in Eastside. You will also see from http://www.hardcourtbikepolo.org/polo/main that 2/3 players are registered as BOSTON. It does not matter which of the 3 are registered as BOS, as long as 2/3 are in the Eastside region.

In fact in 2 weeks all 3 players will officially be registered as BOSTON players when Robbie moves here in May. Hardcourt Bike Polo.org is riddled with mistakes....Addison who has lived here in Boston for years is still registered as a Seattle player. Lomax is now CHI but was PGH. People move from region to region and as this was the beginning of the season now TSC have made their Eastside bed and will now sleep in it for the season. We (Boston Bike Polo) play with all 3 players regularly and look forward to more polo with them, as Eastside players for the whole season.

Now if they feel the need to clarify and explain themselves on here then they will. NAH and Boston Bike Polo discussed this team last week and last night and the information was the same. They have qualified in the 7th position. If people were concerned about this team they should have spoken up before the tournament. It is all over now and we cannot go back in time and replay all the games they did or did not play in. It would affect the the whole tournament not just 7th and 8 position.

I hope this clarifies the event organizers position. BBP ran this tournament collectively and all decisions were made as a group.

Thank you all for coming. Everything ran as smooth as that blue waffle. As everybody noted there was very little reffing needed and the whole tournament was played in a great spirit.

Tobi wrote:

As everybody noted there was very little reffing needed and the whole tournament was played in a great spirit.

This just isnt true. Although the spirits were great (for those of you that got to sip on some of Black Velvet's toasty caramel flavor).

SQUAD UP!

JT wrote:
Tobi wrote:

As everybody noted there was very little reffing needed and the whole tournament was played in a great spirit.

This just isnt true. Although the spirits were great (for those of you that got to sip on some of Black Velvet's toasty caramel flavor).

JT i think you misunderstood what i meant. I watched more games than anybody and I saw very few incidents where a ref had to step in. Of course the final games needed more reffing and you and John H did a fantastic job.

I'm confused, Tobi. If you read the same thread I did, it seems like The_Borg knows he's not classified as Eastside, which they would've needed to be when registration was announced. Unless you use a different calendar where May comes before January.

It doesn't matter who they're registered with, shouldn't registration be based on where you live... and isn't it? BVT has a club, it's not up to individuals to decide they'd rather be part of Boston when it's convenient for them.

Realistically you can't replay the tournament, that's obvious--but you're right, there is an effect on final numbers, as Lomax pointed out.

I'll just leave you with two funny pieces of info:

The_Borg wrote:

Howdy John, your more than welcome to join our team: zborg, cdees (Burlington, VT natives), haven't signed up yet but will do if you join up!

.

Tobi wrote:

Hardcourt Bike Polo.org is riddled with mistakes....

Ultimately this is the responsibility of the tournament organizer to check illegibility of the registered teams.

Would this have been allow on a Google Spreadsheet? If I filled out a form and said I was from Tallahassee, would that be okay? It doesn't ask for a drivers license number and only locals know this information.

The software has controls in place for organizers to boot teams, if you have questions about how, ask Chandel or myself.

Let me go on record as saying that I think that Boston did a great job getting this tournament together. I appreciate all of their efforts unconditionally.

My gripes are with the adherence to NAH structure and the objective identification of in and out of region players. Future residence is irrelevant. Plans can change. Waking up in one city and driving to another to play indoors when it's cold is admirable, but also irrelevant. Being okay with being labeled as a member of specific region for a season because the qualifier is more convenient is officially forbidden by NAH. What matters is identity at the time of registration, and the burden of proof lies on TSC and NAH. If they can prove it, and NAH backs it, I will buy it.

Edit: On the topic of structure, I have a few concerns. There were no goal judges until the final that I was aware of. It is my understanding that the rules for this tournament were new for this season, and I have not seen them anywhere but on a clipboard kept at the timekeeper's station. There were no equipment checks (multiple bikes with bottle cages and bottles). Lastly, despite being one of the most active, fair, and attentive referees that I have experienced at a major (seriously, great job), JT was not 100% familiar with the current ruleset.

lomax wrote:

Let me go on record as saying that I think that Boston did a great job getting this tournament together. I appreciate all of their efforts unconditionally.

My gripes are with the adherence to NAH structure and the objective identification of in and out of region players. Future residence is irrelevant. Plans can change. Waking up in one city and driving to another to play indoors when it's cold is admirable, but also irrelevant. Being okay with being labeled as a member of specific region for a season because the qualifier is more convenient is officially forbidden by NAH. What matters is identity at the time of registration, and the burden of proof lies on TSC and NAH. If they can prove it, and NAH backs it, I will buy it.

Edit: On the topic of structure, I have a few concerns. There were no goal judges until the final that I was aware of. It is my understanding that the rules for this tournament were new for this season, and I have not seen them anywhere but on a clipboard kept at the timekeeper's station. There were no equipment checks (multiple bikes with bottle cages and bottles). Lastly, despite being one of the most active, fair, and attentive referees that I have experienced at a major (seriously, great job), JT was not 100% familiar with the current ruleset.

looks like we'll have to do the whole thing again. When is a good date for everybody?

My interest, as it is every time that I open a can of worms, is to establish objective, repeatable methods and avoid future problems. I know that there is very little that can be done to remedy these concerns as far as the ERQ is concerned. Please do not take my crusade as a personal attack.

I think the timing/registration is the main issue and will have to be looked into further by NAH. TSC may have some evidence to show there was no foul play or intention to pervert NAH rules. Newspaper clippings and online gossip and rumor are not evidence.

well, allow me to be pedantic. look at the US federal rules of evidence here:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/fre/rule_902

"RULE 902. EVIDENCE THAT IS SELF-AUTHENTICATING

The following items of evidence are self-authenticating; they require no extrinsic evidence of authenticity in order to be admitted:
...
(6) Newspapers and Periodicals. Printed material purporting to be a newspaper or periodical."

so while it may not be "evidence" in the sense that you'll accept it, it is evidence the way most other people think of it and doesn't need to be verified again. if you'd like an actual copy, i'm sure one could be procured for you.

To all whom this may concern:

It is clear that various people are upset at, angered at, questioning (insert any adjective here describing how you feel) my team (thinly sliced cabbage) for the east side qualifier tournament.

Clarification:

We are rightfully an east side team and anyone who does not understand or believe this is misinformed.

Explanation:

Robby Finn (BTV) - Robby is currently registered with NAH as being from BTV (NS), however, he is moving to Boston, MA (ES) on May 1st of 2013. This will switch his regional status from NS to ES and he will be an ES player for the majority of the 2013 season. (1 required ES player)

Pippa Harriman (BOS) – Pippa is from and will be living in Newton, MA (ES) for the next year or so. This is certainly east side and Boston is the closest club to Newton. Therefore she is registered as Boston for the tournament and will be playing polo in Boston primarily for the 2013 season. (2nd required ES player)

Zack Borg (BOS) – I shamelessly admit that I currently live in BTV (NS) even though I am registered as BOS. The reason for this discrepancy is that I will be moving to Newton (ES) to join Pippa in the near future. I plan on attending graduate school at Boston (BU) this coming fall. That is why I am registered as a Boston player (ES) for the 2013 season. (3rd required ES player)

Therefore, if anything, we were a team composed of 3 eastside players (not just 2) which certainly gives us in-region status for ES for the 2013 season. Call this disingenuous if you are so inclined but I call this accurate. We were in no way attempting to offend or trick anyone. We were attempting to predict what region we would be playing THE MOST polo in for the 2013 season and that is how we registered (I don’t know why Robby is still registered as BTV even though he is moving in less than a month maybe he can provide an explanation). If you deem this explanation unfit or choose to call into question any of these FACTS, we will provide you with as much support as we can.

If I am misinformed about how regional status works please correct me. We played clean polo during the tournament and were very happy with qualifying for NA’s. I don’t understand why I wasn’t asked for clarification before the tournament started if people had such deep concerns.

Sincerely,
ZB

.

From NAH: http://www.nahardcourt.com/?p=128

[quote] 1. “Trade Deadline” Date

The relevant date for a player’s regional identity is the qualifier registration date. A player’s regional identity is maintained for the entire season, regardless of subsequent relocation. [quote]

[quote] sub·se·quent
/ˈsəbsəkwənt/
Adjective
Coming after something in time; following. [quote]
Registration was Feb. 1

SKID ROW // ACT LIKE YOU
http://www.skidphoto.com

As nothing more than a casual observer who has followed this thread...

This seems pretty definitive. It doesn't look like the TSC guys were doing anything disingenuous; they just did not understand what NAH cares about when it comes to defining residency. They made the (perfectly reasonable) assumption that one should define their region based on where they play the majority of the season (as explained in Borg's post above). The NAH, however, does not care where you play the majority of the season, only where you play on the qualifier registration deadline.

This raises an interesting question, though:

If they were Northside residents on the registration date for ERQ (Feb 1), but will be Eastside residents by the registration date for NRQ (Apr. 10), does that mean they aren't allowed to play in either?

Legalize Hand Throws - 2014

Secondary Alex wrote:

This raises an interesting question, though:

If they were Northside residents on the registration date for ERQ (Feb 1), but will be Eastside residents by the registration date for NRQ (Apr. 10), does that mean they aren't allowed to play in either?

That's a great question.

So... you currently have two people RESIDING in Burlington, VT... a Northsides club.

Is that enough evidence for you, Tobi?

Straight from the horse's mouth.

I'm no horse and I respect the NAHs decision with all this relevant information, not your slander friend

it would be libel because it's printed, but wouldn't even be that because it's true.

It is not true that I am a horse. Despite that, thank you for the grammar correction, I really appreciate it!

Like i said it sounds like its a matter of timing and registration dates. This is now up to NAH. As far as we (BBP) were concerned 2/3 are Boston players for the 2013 season and soon all 3/3 will be. If we had the tournament in June would it have been an issue?

The issue is in where they still reside, and in the prior notification that they were indeed out of region. They admittedly dont live in the region. If the tourney were in june and 2/3 were not yet residents, yes. Plans are not reality.

SKID ROW // ACT LIKE YOU
http://www.skidphoto.com

Tobi wrote:

Like i said it sounds like its a matter of timing and registration dates. This is now up to NAH. As far as we (BBP) were concerned 2/3 are Boston players for the 2013 season and soon all 3/3 will be. If we had the tournament in June would it have been an issue?

my girlfriend and i were considering moving in and around june to an eastside city. we're aren't there yet (nor are we guaranteed to be moving there) but if registration was based on future locations than we cold have played on the eastsides also, which would have affected the outcome of the tourney and the outcome of the NS tourney. next year our city will mostlikely be a ES city. but we aren't yet, so we weren't allowed to play. it's sort of the same for TSC.

BBP's stance is; if you moved here June 1st and the registration opened on June 2nd for our ERQ you would be allowed to play in it as East Side Players. The TSC issue came about because our ERQ registration opened Feb 1st and at that time they were in the process of moving here or in limbo between regions. It just seems unfair on TSC because BBP chose to have our ERQ on the very first weekend possible in the NAH season (Mid-April). The NAH qualifier season runs until June and by that time all of TSC would be living in region. Had we chosen a date at HockeyTown in late June (Like Cascadia) the registration date would have been later and would have meant that TSC would have been in the East Region and not region-less. We don't think NAH should penalize teams and players because they decide to move around college semesters and tenancy agreement dates (MAY/SEP) As it stands they could be region-less.... (See DCEric's post)

Tobi wrote:

BBP's stance is; if you moved here June 1st and the registration opened on June 2nd for our ERQ you would be allowed to play in it as East Side Players. The TSC issue came about because our ERQ registration opened Feb 1st and at that time they were in the process of moving here or in limbo between regions. It just seems unfair on TSC because BBP chose to have our ERQ on the very first weekend possible in the NAH season (Mid-April). The NAH qualifier season runs until June and by that time all of TSC would be living in region. Had we chosen a date at HockeyTown in late June (Like Cascadia) the registration date would have been later and would have meant that TSC would have been in the East Region and not region-less. We don't think NAH should penalize teams and players because they decide to move around college semesters and tenancy agreement dates (MAY/SEP) As it stands they could be region-less.... (See DCEric's post)

if and buts, man. now there are people being penalized because they follow the rules the way they're written. again, i don't care. thats the main thing here. i don't care. but if i did, again, i would call a great big huge bullshit on this. unless you're saying that all the rules and stuff the NAH have been trying to work on are obsolete and pointless, there are rules for a reason. so stuff like this doesn't happen. but here it happens. because people are trying to skirt around the rules to make things easier for themselves. but people who follow the rules are the ones getting butt fucked. and not in the fun way. in the i don't like this but its happening anyway sort of butt fucking. non consensual butt fucking.

Sure, rules are rules and they must be adhered to even though they are not (Both on and off the court). We respect NAH and their rules even though they are pushed to the breaking point both on and off the court. There is a reason we allowed TCS to play in the tournament. The reason was that we believed that at least 2/3 of the team are East Side players and in 2 weeks 3/3. We would have preferred to host the ERQ later in the season but this past weekend was the only weekend in the NAH season that we could block book both courts for 12 hours a day for both days, so we took it. Nobody was skirting around the rules or being disingenuous or trying to pull a fast one.

Tobi wrote:

Sure, rules are rules and they must be adhered to even though they are not (Both on and off the court). We respect NAH and their rules even though they are pushed to the breaking point both on and off the court. There is a reason we allowed TCS to play in the tournament. The reason was that we believed that at least 2/3 of the team are East Side players and in 2 weeks 3/3. We would have preferred to host the ERQ later in the season but this past weekend was the only weekend in the NAH season that we could block book both courts for 12 hours a day for both days, so we took it. Nobody was skirting around the rules or being disingenuous or trying to pull a fast one.

i'm not saying anyone was trying to be sneaky. but here's the thing. 2 weeks isn't last weekend. i'm just saying, between this and the team trying to play on the northsides thats not really from there, things are looking like people are getting punished for follwoing the rules, and this just enforces the idea that maybe everyone should play with a little dirt to get what they think is fair. again, for the record and what comes of this and the NS shit I DON'T CARE, i'm just pointing out some fatal flaws, and i'm sure no one cares what i think anyway. but i think it's funny that, being the only state divided in two, when i approached NAH about having the whole state considered ES, i was told yeah makes total sense send and email and it will happen, but oh, it's too late in for this season. but you guys get to dictate when in the season it's ok to be considered in a region.i mean you guys may not have been skirting around rules intentionally, but it looks like there may have been some skirting.

To me, this isn't personal.

It just doesn't make any sense at all that a person can be living somewhere and then decide they're going to play in another region by simply changing their tag on HCBP and a promise of future actions.

Since people can only play in one qualifier anyway, how easy would it be for a team from one region to simply register themselves in another region saying "oh, we plan to move there after the tournament, but we don't actually live there now." Who's going to verify that it actually happens in those cases? What happens if it doesn't? It can (and did in this case) fuck with the whole thing and skew the numbers.

What kind of sense does that make?

Daniel take a Xanax. Addison did and WHITEFANG took 3rd.

Bad idea, when I do that I burn plastic crates in BBQs and throw D batteries.

ha. You're not such a meathead after all.

I am paying a special amount of attention to the decision from NAH on this.

cripes

i'll admit i lel'd at this

The reaction to all of this on the part of NAH is one of caution and gathering the facts.
Right now we are attempting to talk to those parties involved that can provide this and any further insight into the truth behind this team and the question of their regional affiliation.

Please expect a statement regarding this and regional affiliation shortly.

We're wondering if there's been any verdict on this yet? If not, when could we expect one?

Should be soon.

Should be tomorrow.

The Boston results stand. See:

http://www.nahardcourt.com/

EDIT: Cached page meant that the website didn't update for me. Ignore my comment.

Will there be a statement issued?

Also, I don't see anywhere that lists teams that have qualified for NAHBPC.

The results here list the Shart Bus Sharties above TSC

Can anyone post the ruleset we were working from this weekend?

The rules that I see at http://www.nahardcourt.com/ specifically say no shaft goals. However, all weekend they were counted.

There was also a big discussion about whether the ball is reset when playing out a tie, or if we simply play until the next goal. People seemed to think that the new rules said we were to play through without a reset.

Wow i'm glad ya'll don't have the gumption to do this kind of bitching in person!

Just kidding! But seriously...
I want to echo Jav in thanking everyone for making this weekend such a success. We really couldn't have done it without the help of everyone who stepped up to help ref, time/scorekeep etc. The Eastsides may be many different cities but in the end we all come together to make a whole. Thanks for your patients in dealing with traveling to Saugus, hopefully the 'gansette masked the grime of Rt.1.

As for the rules:
THIS RULESET was e-mailed to us the afternoon before the tournament. I don't think that leaves much time for anyone, even someone as intelligent and charasmatic as JT, to become familiar with them. The rules do say there will be a re-joust for overtime.
Note that it does not say anything about regions, eligibility for qualifiers, or goal judges.

For what it is worth, I asked the tournaments committee to look into the registration matter last Wednesday in an effort to avoid this mess. I was told that a representative from Boston confirmed current affiliation. As we now see, matters aren't quite so clear.

JT was brilliant in the finals. Hats off to him. The last second release of the rules is tremendously unfortunate, but credit is due to the participants of the tournament for playing one of the cleanest majors that I've been a part of.

Again, unconditional thanks to all involved in making this tournament happen.

*patience

thanks for posting it.

Thanks for a great tournament, Boston! Great polo and even greater boat drinks. Blah, blah, blah...rules...blah, blah, blah...regions...blah, blah, blah

OH MAN, I ALMOST FORGOT ABOUT KOWLOON. I mean, I did forget about it. Volcano bowl. Get familiar.

I'm not attempting to add to the repetition that I'm seeing on this thread, but I was interested to see everyone's reaction to how this tournament concluded since it was the first qualifier that was strictly region-specific so I have been thumbing through these posts and for once have an opinion I feel necessary to share on here.

First off, thank you for the ref props. Lomax is right though. I did not know the full rule set although on the ride into Saugus, I asked Sprinkles a number of questions regarding rule changes and he did his best to reiterate what he had received in an email a few days prior; however, this is undoubtedly not enough time to review for questions & concerns from players nor is it enough time for a referee to condition himself to make the right calls. Nonetheless, I tried to take into consideration the rule changes (some of which I definitely don't agree with) but again I will admit that even if those of you that had to endure my reffing felt that I did a good job, I was NOT qualified to be making decisions at a qualifier without the knowledge of the full/present rule set.

Why was the rule set not discussed prior to the start of both brackets on Saturday knowing that the rule set had only been available for a few days? This used to be a Saturday morning tournament norm and that was BEFORE we got our shit together and had a defined rule set. This would have been the place for NAH reps to step up and answer questions about gray areas and would have taken a lot of the haziness out of the picture including questions about TSC's eligibility. I don't put this on Boston BP, but feel that it is the responsibility of NAH reps to ensure that rules are followed and that the hours of work they have put into organizing/evolving this sport (which I am very grateful for) have not gone to waste. Rules were unknown thus not followed. Rules/Regional boundaries WERE known yet they still were open to (mis)interpretation by the organizing club and again, this is not to the fault of Bostonians. NAH is responsible for overseeing these qualifiers and making sure that they are run correctly. Why are we paying an NAH fee at our only applicable qualifier if they are not going to man the helm and make sure shit is on point? Boston hosted this tournament which I am very thankful for. Hosting is not the same as managing though and I personally feel that NAH regional reps need to be more involved in more than just the planning phases of an upcoming season and help with the managing and decision making of their region's qualifier.

As for referring...
Truthfully where is the incentive for a player to referee and take on the most hated role in the game? Can we discount registration fees for players that take on this responsibility? Maybe we void the NAH fee for them? I have a number of ideas that could be potential solutions to the ref issue which IS AN ISSUE. We need to admit to ourselves that a qualifier is the stepping stone into the most competitive environment this sport sees which entails a need for more structure in the decision-making during games. Just because someone is on the sideline dangling a whistle from their neck does not make them a referee. They need to understand the game and have the confidence to make the right calls and not give a damn if someone doesn't like the decision made (which is inevitably going to happen).

Moving forward, I want to go on ahead and say that I am willing to ref in the future for any of the upcoming qualifiers if it isn't financially stupid for me to do so.

A lack of structure is the main, underlying issue here folks. We continue to evolve the ruleset, the guidelines for qualifiers, the mapping of regions, etc. but then we do nothing to implement and hold true to these things.
I think this tournament provides a spotlight for areas of improvement.

SQUAD UP!

Didnt want this to get mixed in with my other comments:

Boston- thank you for the hangouts, beers, green, and grill sessions. As always, you guys are one of my favorite clubs to spend a weekend with.

Jav- thanks for opening your house up for me and the Werm to dig dirt in. Give Tori and Diego my thanks too playboy.

SQUAD UP!

All of the people who self select to be East side regional reps, and therefore possess special knowledge about new rules and etc. should make a reasonable effort to be at the East side qualifier/coordinate dates with tournament organizers. Perhaps that would have helped some of the confusion. (thank u sprinks)

clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

I think Horse tried to postpone his wedding a week so he could make it but rumor has it he would have lost the deposit with the florist. And you can't have a wedding without flowers.

Let's also note the timing of registration with the changing of the guards here. The ES reps changed after registration opened for ERQ, so this could have contributed to these details slipping through the cracks, and not being addressed prior to ERQ.

Combination of choice: Smash + Bang

Lets try not to get caught up on who should have been at the ESQ as an NAH rep. This is hopefully a lesson learned for upcoming qualifier tournaments as well as seasons to come.

SQUAD UP!

JT you're on point with this.
I wish i could have been there, but obviously getting married took precedent.
Constructive critisism is good, especially if we want NAH to be a good representation of where we want the sport to go. I feel like we dropped the ball on this one, personally. But its a good learning experience.
NAH is such an infant, seriously. I dont want to give the 'its gonna take time' excuse, but there is a learning curve.
All i ask is that you continue to voice what you'd like to see happening, instead of taking an us vs them perspective. I'd much rather accurately represent our players wants and needs than fight against them.
(i like having friends)

Horse

lancasterpolo.com
agile for my size.

MARRIED!?!?!? Are you sure you are taking this seriously enough? Did she at least throw her polo mallet instead of a bouquet?

FACT: If you catch the mallet, you're the next to get rad.

Combination of choice: Smash + Bang

Where are all of the photos? My mom wants a current picture of me. Not kidding.

Here are all the photos. Hopefully there's something good in there for the Mother. In somewhat tedious chronologic order, but not too too many to sift through. Any and all, take what you please! Hopefully my photography isn't as shitty as my reffing.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/as6m4u8h6hs0yyf/_TPv06gzsB

Boston/MPLS/Elsewhere
currently running Photo Blog www.gustavHoiland.com
formerly of http://legitbikepolo.com

Thank you to the 3 board members that can read. I appreciate your literacy. The other 4 of you have no idea what you are doing and should resign immediately. As for the Burlington kids, I wish you had shown some dignity and voluntarily backed out of the tournament or publicly presented your concerns prior to the tournament. Instead, you took advantage of everyone, and for that, I have no respect for any of you. Good luck at NAs, cheaters.

The attached photo is the post from the "Official" NAH site. It is from the structure announcement in January, and it says that regional identity is assumed at the time of registration. It is as clear as day.

HEY MAN! THEY'RE VOLUNTEERS! ALL YOU DO IS SIT ON THE INTERNET AND CRITICIZE WHILE THEY'RE BUSY ORGANIZING BIKE POLO!

IF YOU JUST PAID MORE THAN THREE LOUSY BUCKS THEN THEY COULD ACTUALLY HIRE PEOPLE WHO COULD READ!

AS A MATTER OF FACT... IT'S ACTUALLY YOUR FAULT THIS HAPPENED!

R.I.P. BIG BABY JESUS!

On a serious note, and since the overseers say the matter is closed, this'll be the last word from me here. Hallelujah!

After reading the doc that NAH posted, two things are obvious: at least some of that ire should be directed at whoever represented Boston, and that Ben's contribution to the doc was good and worth reading.

Quote:

Based on the conflicting information, NAH asked the Boston club the following question:

Had a question about a team, "thinly sliced cabbage". Do you know this team? It was brought to
my attention yesterday that they may not be legit? Help me with this. Pierre, reps need to help
verify. I'm confident the rest of the registered teams are fine.

In response, Boston Bike Polo confirmed:

Thinly sliced cabbage are made up of 2 new boston people ­ pippa and zack, we know them and
they have just moved here.

Which he hadn't yet as he's admitted freely to still living in BVT which some folks in Boston knew, so whoever answered the email (Pierre?) was bullshitting. Still think it's a raw deal that the other 7th place in-region team got bumped out and NAH didn't even consider making a spot available for those three. Oh well, guess everyone fucked the dog on this one. Lesson learned, moving on, have a beautiful day.

NAH Sec:

"We didn’t know these players personally and the information on the various website was
unclear. So we asked Boston, and Boston specifically confirmed. That has to be the extent of NAH’s due
diligence. NAH cannot be the arbiter of who belongs to what club – we have to let the clubs be
responsible for that. Would NAH want to be in the position of going out and digging further even after the
fact, and overruling Boston on the matter of who belongs to their own club? I don’t think so."

Lomax - Do you disagree with this? Boston said they were in, so what was NAH to do? I agree this is a bitter pill to swallow, but the above is good reason to let the results stand.

I do agree that TSC should have stepped down. That would have been the idea situation, and wouldn't have put NAH in the bad position to set a new precedent on qualification.

I'd also add that while NAH should accept a club's statement on membership, that a club claiming people on their roster does inherit some culpability in these matters--more so than the NAH, IMO.

Combination of choice: Smash + Bang

Urban Editor wrote:

I do agree that TSC should have stepped down. That would have been the idea situation, and wouldn't have put NAH in the bad position to set a new precedent on qualification.

This does in fact set a precedent that regions are not closed

SKID ROW // ACT LIKE YOU
http://www.skidphoto.com

Pick your poison:

1) Precedent that NAH can overrule club rosters.
2) Precedent that NAH observes a club's claim.

The latter is easier to address.

The real question here is why when NAH reached out to Boston prior to the event bad information was given. Whoever spoke on behalf of Boston, stated that 2/3 lived there (present tense). We know that at the time of the email, this was not true. So either...

1) Boston didn't know that 2/3 didn't live in Boston.
2) Boston did know residential status, but misinformed NAH.

NAH can't read minds, so accepting Boston's statement independent of the above makes sense.

Also, let's speak practically. Do you really think another team could get away with this under the "TSC got away with it" justification? I don't. That scenario is one that now the NAH is ready to deal with. If a team comes under question in the future, the NAH will again reach out to the club that they claim to be a part of to vet them. NAH now knows that this vetting will require a greater scrutiny. That's the precedent.

It's also still not to late for TSC to step down...

Combination of choice: Smash + Bang

there are either rules about regional affiliation or there aren't. you can't have both at once, NAH. holy shit, this is majorly fucked.

Quote:

Based on the conflicting information, NAH asked the Boston club the following question:
Had a question about a team, "thinly sliced cabbage". Do you know this team? It was brought to
my attention yesterday that they may not be legit? Help me with this. Pierre, reps need to help
verify. I'm confident the rest of the registered teams are fine.
In response, Boston Bike Polo confirmed:
Thinly sliced cabbage are made up of 2 new boston people ­ pippa and zack, we know them and
they have just moved here.
In light of Boston’s confirmation that 2/3 of the team were members of Boston Bike Polo, NAH was
satisfied that Thinly Sliced Cabbage was properly registered.
Thinly Slice Cabbage competed at the Eastside Tournament and earned the 7th and final qualifying spot
for North Americans.

Really Boston? I seem to remember you all saying that they didn't even live in Boston at the time of the tournament. This vote, that did not include all parties involved, is a farce. It is a blatant omission of the rules that all teams in the Eastside region and beyond have to comply by, with the exception of one. Every team that decides to, and has competed in the NAH tour this year is being penalized by this ruling. Whether or not TSC entered ERQ in neglect or oversight is irrelevant, by self admission they were not a regional team at the time of registration, or at the time of the tournament. This decision undermines any credibility that the NAH may have had.

SKID ROW // ACT LIKE YOU
http://www.skidphoto.com

i have a solution...TSC has to split for NAs and choose two people from Eastside who did not qualify.

Are 2/3 of the team actually moving to boston?

____________
The only reason anyone does anything.
For the lulz.

Irrelevant, also WHO GIVE A SHIT!

Extremely relevant!

I'm simply trying to acertain If the 2/3 of the team who stated they live in boston are actually going to be living there soon. If so, then this whole debacle is invalidated. If they moved to boston without playing in this tournament and then missed the northsides because they didn't live there any more then the NAH rules are just screwing a team to be sticklers.

That being said, If a representative of boston willingly or unwillingy duped NAH into allowing this team into the qualifier in a region that they don't live in and won't live in then, and only then, do we as people paying into the governing body get to be upset.

If there is just an actual lie going on here and nothing is changing then I completely agree with people being upset. and NAH should be completely bisbanded. Or more realistically, TSC doesn't qualify in the east sides, has to play in northsides and Tucky's team gets into NA's

____________
The only reason anyone does anything.
For the lulz.

Medic.Mike wrote:

If they moved to boston without playing in this tournament and then missed the northsides because they didn't live there any more then the NAH rules are just screwing a team to be sticklers.

This is something I brought up earlier, before the ruling. And why I'm leaning toward agreeing with NAH's decision.

Every team should get to play in *A* qualifier, no matter what kind of moves they make during the year. If strict adherence to the rules would mean that a team like TSC doesn't get a chance to play in a qualifier, then that means the rule is broken needs to be fixed.

Legalize Hand Throws - 2014

The opportunity for TSC to address this concern prior to the tournament existed. Having this discussion candidly and publicly would have resulted in a much better solution than all of this... Of that, I am fully confident. This community has a heart. The best efforts to accommodate them and arrive at a fair solution would have been made. The option to split the team up also existed. Instead, jokes were made and responsibility was shirked. Now the entire community is forced to accept something that is clearly incorrect. It is there in clear writing, and it is being ignored.

Secondary Alex wrote:
Medic.Mike wrote:

If they moved to boston without playing in this tournament and then missed the northsides because they didn't live there any more then the NAH rules are just screwing a team to be sticklers.

This is something I brought up earlier, before the ruling. And why I'm leaning toward agreeing with NAH's decision.

Every team should get to play in *A* qualifier, no matter what kind of moves they make during the year. If strict adherence to the rules would mean that a team like TSC doesn't get a chance to play in a qualifier, then that means the rule is broken needs to be fixed.

This isnt true, Northside registration opened 4/10 making them eligible to play in their region, it might not be convenient for them though.

SKID ROW // ACT LIKE YOU
http://www.skidphoto.com

So instead of traveling to boston when they're going to move there they should travel to michigan after they move to boston?

____________
The only reason anyone does anything.
For the lulz.

I didnt realize that sometimes you have to travel for polo tournaments

SKID ROW // ACT LIKE YOU
http://www.skidphoto.com

My entire arguement is based off of finding out facts that haven't been presented yet. I will continue expressing myself when new information comes to light.

____________
The only reason anyone does anything.
For the lulz.

Who cares about the travel convince? Rules are rules, something NAH reminded ditka of, but apparently it dosen't matter if you don't tell them and/or are rather shady.

Awful, at best.

natred wrote:

Irrelevant, also WHO GIVE A SHIT!

It is irrelevant only if the NAH is ruling based on the letter of the regulations and nothing else.

It is evident that the NAH was also influenced by the intent of the team registering, the credibility of the hosting club, and the "spirit" of the closed region system. For those aspects of the ruling, the current residence of the team members is certainly relevant.

Legalize Hand Throws - 2014

.

Current residence, yes. Probably maybe sometime in the future moving to Boston, no.

This is a no brainer - just give TSC one of the northside's qualification slots. Tucker/Sean/Charlie get their rightful birth into the NA championships and one fewer team qualifies from the northside qualifier.

clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

OR accept 8 teams from the east instead of 7, seems like the only people who were really wronged here are the team who got displaced by TSC

clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

Not that I have a horse in this race, but either of your suggestions mean one less qualification spot for some other team playing in another regional.

Evaluating beyond just the ERQ, this team now has a spot at NAHBPC, of which there are a limited number. If they're in, that means some other team is out.

Legalize Hand Throws - 2014

Give? they can come and play me for it.

Keep your standards low, and morale high.

thank you and good night. Love you all.

laddamercy... if only we could deport you... to the Sun.

As Boson's club representative I want to thank NAH for handling this "controversy" in such a professional manner and during leisure time to boot. The "Record of Electronic Vote" has some words that certainly affirm ya'lls dedication and commitment to the healthy growth of our sport.

I also want to thank everyone else for taking this shit way to f*cking seriously.

If anybody has any residual beef there is only one place to settle it..... BOSTON

do you really wanna settle it that way, radddison?

like, for real?

is this how it ends?

raddison wrote:

If anybody has any residual beef there is only one place to settle it..... BURLINGTON

Combination of choice: Smash + Bang

I think there was a lot of miscommunication on our part as to when the members of TSC were moving here, and a general misunderstanding of the qualification criteria (which, as we've seen, are complicated and can screw teams out of the qualifiers altogether). I don't think anyone was being intentionally deceitful.

I think the ruling is fair because this specific issue was brought up before the tourney(thanks Lomax) and NAH and BBP agreed to let them play based on the information we had. To call out TSC as cheaters is bullshit. They were just going along with what the organizers knowingly permitted. They earned that spot when they beat the Sharties in the playoff game. To expect them to just give it up due to others' mistakes is unfair in my opinion.

Sharties it does seem like you got shafted since in hindsight we should not have let TSC play, and I apologize for that as a member of BBP.

But let's not forget that the reason TSC have that spot is because they fairly beat the Sharties in the playoff game. If Sharties had been strong enough to beat TSC, they would have earned their spot that day and none of us would be discussing this.

Javier wrote:

Sharties it does seem like you got shafted since in hindsight we should not have let TSC play, and I apologize for that as a member of BBP.

I think everyone has got to realize two important things (which Javier is pointing out here)

1. TSC should not have been allowed to play in the first place. A rule was broken... but:

2. They were allowed to play (through little fault of their own), and to DQ them retroactively would be inappropriate. It would cause too much upheaval, throw too many of the results from the tournament into doubt, and be an over-reaction to a situation in which nobody was intentionally trying to undermine the game.

To the people saying:
"The rules are the rules and the rules say they shouldn't have played!"

You're not wrong. But in this situation trying to enforce the rule after the fact would have been worse than letting the result stand. That is what NAH has ruled, and it's a ruling which makes sense.

Legalize Hand Throws - 2014

so where does that leave the actual in region team, secondary alex alex?

It leaves them out of the NAHBPC, just like you n' me.

Sucks, but there is always gonna be someone on the bubble.

Legalize Hand Throws - 2014

why aren't the idiots who broke the rules on the bubble?

Because the host club and rules committee decided that the unwitting violation of a new and untested rule due to a misunderstanding does not outweigh the validity of the on-the-court result.

Legalize Hand Throws - 2014

tight. so boston lies, four of the board members are mouth-breathing mongoloids that don't recognize it... and we all get the shaft. just another day on the grind. thanks for the clarification.

Quote:

I think the ruling is fair because this specific issue was brought up before the tourney(thanks Lomax) and NAH and BBP agreed to let them play based on the information we had.

really, yall didn't know he wasn't livin there? your point is invalid. that dude didn't live in boston... and i'm pretty sure he still doesn't...

sorry, i'll put in context for yall niggas who can't read...

Quote:

But let's not forget that the reason TSC have that spot is because they fairly beat the Sharties in the playoff game. If Sharties had been strong enough to beat TSC, they would have earned their spot that day and none of us would be discussing this.

AND... sharties had to play after they thought the tournament was over for 'em. we (collectively, as a group) were all gettin super loaded... and that's a major thing... sean and tucky are like the merle haggards of bike polo. so you can imagine the surprise when yall came through and were like "YO, TIME TO PLAY NOW!" errrrr [record scratch]... "wait, what? we gotta play now? i thought this shit was done?" "but we're throwed..." "oh, uh... but you have to play for 7th." "damn... not sure if we're strong enough."

at that point dudes could hardly tie their own shoe laces, let alone be responsible for a game... and you wanna use that as an example. you're a crazy person. blame yourself.

I had issue with the play off game for a variety of reasons.
1) There was no notification of a playoff game until 10min before the game took place.
2) When asked about how a tie breaker would happen, way before the tie breaker game was announced, we were told that the decider would be based on point differential. (for the weekend? sunday? magic? no idea?)
3) There never should have been a game, when I asked TSC and Tobi about their affiliation, I was flat out lied to.

SKID ROW // ACT LIKE YOU
http://www.skidphoto.com

For the record. I did not lie to you and BBP did not lie to NAH.

thanks for the mealymouthed reply. x100000

you sound like you got the same speech writers as clinton.

DNOLA wrote:

thanks for the mealymouthed reply. x100000

you sound like you got the same speech writers as clinton.

Thatcher buddy.

morrissey. the crown's other national treasure.

And I live in Boston...

SKID ROW // ACT LIKE YOU
http://www.skidphoto.com

I'll just add that going through Gustave's pics, it is clear others were breaking the rules as well and should forfeit their results. Daniel I think your team's results should be forfeited because AB wasn't wearing a helmet. The Means should obviously forfeit their result as should Los Originales because several players on each team have coozies or bottle cages attached to their bikes. Sharties are eliminated too since Tucker had a fucking coconut or some shit attached to his bike. Fuck, I bet we could go through and eliminate most teams based on some rule infringement the organizers let slide but we can now rule on after the fact because of photographic evidence and written rules and blah blah blah who gives a shit?!

hell yeah-- BURN CREAM is goin to NAs!

reduction to the absurd.

deflection for poor planning.

leave it alone.

I love you Jav....but isn't that the hosting clubs responsibility to enforce those rules...wearing helmets and bike/equipment checks before the tournament.

I'll be the first to admit we didn't do a good job at enforcing rules, just like we didn't do a good job in determining the eligibility of TSC. That's my point. It was the organizers who fucked up, not TSC. Disqualifying someone because of the oversight/mistake of the organizer seems incredibly harsh.

then seven of them should man up like humans and make a spot for those three fools (sean tuck'n'chuck) at NAs. nobody said that shit gotta get took away from another "region."

Before ERQ - Boston: "...[Zack has] just moved here."
After ERQ - Zack: "...I currently live in BTV..."

I agree that NAH has to make a ruling based on good faith with the info provided to them, but I do think some questions remain about the info provided to them. So who was writing on behalf of BBP, when NAH reached out to them prior to ERQ? Why did they say that Zack lived there, when (1) this was not true, and (2) not even Zack claims to live there now? Did they not know the status, and answered from ignorance?

If Boston didn't know Zack's actual resident status, they should have not answered NAH's question definitively. Answering that they are not sure, or stating that he has made plans to move, would have informed NAH properly prior to the event and this could have been addressed proactively.

This was a mess, and after all the anger directed at NAH, where's the accountability from the anonymous Boston contact that misinformed the NAH?

Combination of choice: Smash + Bang

NAH: Hey Boston, these cats is claiming your club - you know em'? or they false flaggin'?
Boston: yes they currently live here.

LIES. How is that not lies? Them's lies.
So- they are/were what the sports world calls "ineligible". And nothing is going to be done.
Fine, (I guess) but then why are members of the Chicago club not being extended the same courtesy?
Players in Chicago were honest and upfront about their plans/intentions, and now they basically get shit on - while those who intentionally lied/mislead in order to get their way go unchecked.. what is the lesson to be learned there?

Never met TSC, so trying not to judge, but if it were me (which it clearly isn't) I'd step down and try to restore some honor, rather than be the team at NA's with an asterisk.

Unless you think stuff like this is totally legit and honorable..
"(Memphis) Students at Ridgeway High School are still in disbelief that one of their student basketball players was no student at all, but apparently a 22-year-old man."
http://wreg.com/2013/03/01/still-plenty-of-questions-about-high-school-b...

This isn't 'Nam, this is bike polo - there are rules..

MARK IT ZERO!!!

*I realize 99.9% of this ordeal doesn't concern me and I should just shut my fucking mouth because I'm nobody and all, but this situation (particularly the lack of action/resolution) cheapens our sport and its structure/organization. IMHO.

There are still 12 spots open in the Northside tourney. TSC should play in their region's qualifier if they want to qualify for NA's. As for the last ERQ spot, it should go to Shart Bus Sharties. Sure the results are skewed for the ERQ because of TSC playing in it, but that's pretty much the best solution I can see. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Midwest is best!!

Sounds fair to me.

NAH already ruled. if you wanted a say you should have run for office.

Yeah. Either that or just lie and cheat.
Either way. Whichever is more convenient..

Maybe I will now that Kremin is moving to SF...

Midwest is best!!

What about the team that then falls into 7th place because you've invalidated cabbage? Do they get a play off? Do you simply eliminate all of cabbages results or just the most offending one If they don't get a play off maybe they had a better Goal differential/buckholtz/whatever than the other team and would have beaten sharties in that aspect. Do you subtract a game from sharties, to even them out, after you figure out which of four teams that landed ninth should be promoted, then compare the scores/magic numbers.

There is no fair in this situation, information was exchanged and acted upon and people got upset. If NAH had vetoed the qualification process then a whole different group of people would be upset. Wether it's boston for feeling that they weren't trusted (which they probably feel like anyway) Or it's a whole group of random apparent anarchists who are upset at NAH for showing some teeth.

This is a learning opportunity, next time around Teams won't be able to "sneak in", or if the open system that has been mentioned comes to fruition then it won't matter. The biggest trouble that this whole situation represents right now is that the numbers that NAH wanted to gather, to create a better system for qualifiers next year, are now skewed. The biggest bummer is that Tucky, Sean and (insert thirds name here, sorry other human who I probably know but can't think of right now) aren't getting to play in minneapolis. And that sucks cause those dudes are rad.

Now, where are the holes in my argument? I'm only vaguely aware of anything I say.

____________
The only reason anyone does anything.
For the lulz.

One noteworty hole is the Robby, Zack and Pippa are also rad.

____________
The only reason anyone does anything.
For the lulz.

You're right. There is no way to undo all that has been done. But allowing the offenders to suffer zero consequences hardly seems like the best solution. I think Megan's suggestion of allowing them to try to qualify at NS is a great solution.

And yes, I hear you, there are some really talented and lovable players in Chicago too who are not being allowed to compete/qualify outside their region even though they asked for and were granted special permission in advance. They didn't try to sneak in the backdoor. They play (and live) with courage and honor. And it's a major bummer that they suffer consequences while TSC does not.

As I said, from where I'm sitting - this just cheapens the game and the spirit of sportsmanship and competition. "Don't be a dick." I'm pretty sure lying and cheating are total dick moves. Who gives a shit about being champion of this scene if the rules don't apply to all involved? Who is the "best" seems trivial to me if we aren't all held to the same standard.

Whatever. I barely know what I'm talking about and shouldn't be speaking on others' behalf anyways. I'm just bored at work with nothing better to do..
Ignore me. I talk out of my ass.

Well, While the big statments are being made.

Greg is going to a wedding right? He's chosing real life over polo. Tucker, Chris I'm sorry your teammate can't play and that with 2/3 of you guys still being able to play that NAH decided not to let you play out of region. The sort of anger I'm seeing from this is out of hand. If I have really upset you by stating my feelings so openly you both have my phone number, call me and we'll talk. Greg, I will give you my number if you want.

This doesn't cheapen anything, that's far too big of a statement for the actions of a grassroots organization that is at most three years old. This is one of many falls that Little baby NAH is gonna take on it's way to (hopefully) greatness. If you don't like the direction this govening body is taking then when elections come around next time, apply.

____________
The only reason anyone does anything.
For the lulz.

Hopefully the anger you're describing has little/nothing to do with my posts here today. I speak only on my behalf.

And my comparison is/was - TSC played at ES, presumably because it was more convenient for them. And they were allowed to do so.
So why are my clubmates not being allowed to do the same?

That is the only real gripe I have when it comes to the NAH. I have no desire to be elected. If we as players can never utter a peep of discontent unless we are prepared to run for office.. that's pretty sad. It's also a lame (cop out) way to end an argument. By your logic, anyone who criticises President Obama in any way had better be prepared to run for office and show the world that they can do better.

No, the anger is chris and tuckers facespace stuff.

Your clubmates can find a third and then play with greg when he doesn't have a wedding to be involved in. this happens all the time.

If you don't have a desire to run for ofice you at least know, probably personally, a regional representative. I say get yourself elected because you can do that in our setting, you can get yourself into a position where you can do it better. Honestly, you can do that with the federal government too but it's a bit more difficult than making bold statements on a message board. Or you could write to your senator, or in this case, regional rep. The root of my comment, if you don't like either of these decisions talk to NAH. And fuck yeah I expect people to run for office if they don't like Obama! Vermin Supreme 2016! I at least expect them to write to the governement or talk to their senator, Something constructive.

____________
The only reason anyone does anything.
For the lulz.

tldr

break it down for the drunks in the audience, please.

Nola,

Please run for President of the United States of America.

Signed,
Mike.

____________
The only reason anyone does anything.
For the lulz.

Medic.Mike wrote:

Your clubmates can find a third and then play with greg when he doesn't have a wedding to be involved in. this happens all the time.

TSC can be inconvenienced and instructed to qualify at NS like they were supposed to. Inconveniently travelling to polo tourneys happens all the time.
That was very nice of NAH to allow them to qualify outside of their region. Just a bit perplexed as to why that offer was only extended to them and not others..

But again, this doesn't concern me directly so I'll just shut my bong hole.
Also, the rest of your post was solid. Good call, I should be doing more than just whining on the internet.

Also, My statement earlier goes to you as well. Get my number and call me if I'm coming off as a big old doucher on the internet.

____________
The only reason anyone does anything.
For the lulz.

yawn

pete, we're really going to need you to step up here.

____________
The only reason anyone does anything.
For the lulz.

anybody want to go mountain biking today?

ben schicago wrote:

I would like to take the opportunity to say that Chris Williams and Jerod Walz are two of the best polo players I've ever had the privilege to set foot on the court with.

Also, super handsome.

Please?

____________
The only reason anyone does anything.
For the lulz.

Thread #2